Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I know that there was a metal art class that I almost took that involves welding and brazing. The only welding I know of is in ME 37, intro engineering. I'm not sure how much welding is actually done in there, you used to make habachi's. Its all MIG, they dumped ALL of their big tomb-stone 220 AC Lincolin stick welders.
Did you hear the big Atlas Booster test today? It was FREAKIN awsome!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cannot say that I did...what time? We'll have to get together sometime....how's the old ticker?

Jeff Given

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The test was at 8:30 yesterday morning (wednesday). I'll be at the engineering expo at CSUS in the ballroom on the 17th of october with the hovercraft. You should try to make it. Ticker is good, no problems, and I'm now playing soccer again.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Up here at Chico State, MFTG 50 and 51 have a good intro welding program including TIG, MIG, Stick, gas, and brazing. It also includes Lathe and Mill hands-on intros. I would think that there would be similar classes in sac.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChicoB on 10/8/04 5:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
No, there really isnt. The only class that you can get hands on experience is in the Physics department. It's a hidden class, seriously, in the basement of the science building. Only available to ME's and MET's though. They have 7 mills all retrofitted with DRO's. One is programable with G-code. They also have a few lathes, and one Mori Seiki CNC mill and lathe, brakes, etc... There is a class, upper division for ME's only, that teaches master cam on the new CNC mori seiki mill. They don't do alot of hands on anymore. The ABET board, the group that gives accrediation to the engineering college instructed the college to reduce the number of units for the degree from 140 to 134(maybe 136). That killed the thermodynamics class for internal combustion engines, for one. Its hard to find people with PhD's who want to get their hands dirty I guess? The only hands on stuff comes with the senior project, if you actually build something.

I would check around at like Sac City college. Check out the los rios web site and see what they have available.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh...it really aint that worth it....

I could always go back to the shop in high school and pick it up (was really good 6 years ago...) I started to learn to tig weld...but the end of the year came and I was unable to get back to metal shop due to my academics and football.

Someday I'd like to do it though....

Jeff Given

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahh yes...we should go out to stingers one night...get a beer...or a shot of whiskey...something like that =)

Jeff Given

1 - 8 of 8 Posts