Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a piar of Edelbrock Preformer Heads on my 88 gt. I was about to put the altenator bracket back on and I noticed that the upper hole on the head made for the bracket to bolt on to is larger than my bolt/hole in the bracket. Is this normal or a sign that these are the wrong heads that my dealer has given to me? Everything else fit together just fine!! AS well on the right side head the bolt is the same size quit some bigger than what I need to bolt on to . Has anyone else had this problem before?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I believe that Ford makes a threaded plug that screws into the larger hole in the head.
It has a drilled and tapped hole that matches your alt. bolt.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
everyone does....that hole, on the other end is used to connect the smog tube crossover on earlier models, has multiple uses...so I guess the bean counters drilled it for the largest and made the insert to neck it down. If you can't remove it from the stock head, you should be able to go to your local Ford Store to get a couple. Seems everytime I need one...they are a special order item...it's gotten to the point that you are really better off going to the mail order places in the first place.

I don't know thePN off the top of my head, but even the computer jockies gehind the counter should be able to find it...if they can find the right pictures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks A lot guys believe it or not underneath the foam in the cylinder head box supplied by edelbrock the have them in a lil baggy. I feel like a real mornon when I found them sitting there so if anyone throw's put there boxes that their heads come in they probably just tossed those special bolts as well.

Another thing though what is the best way to set the timing when the engine is TDC on Number 1 but has been turned over once or twice to tighten pushrods? As well I have heard that the way to tighten them is to tighten them slowly until you cannot spin them with your finger then just go another fraction of a turn. PLEASE ADVISE i am almost there BOYS.

You All Kick Ass

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about the whole pushrod thing and tighening them, I meant the rocker arms, I was tired and hungover as hell when I wrote that. Thanks for the advise though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts