Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the car show yesterday I talked to this person that works at an engine shop around my area. I told him basically about my plans on the stage 2 engine and we were discussing cyl. heads.

This person has a liking to Brodix heads (for SBF, the track 1 head). I didn't know about them at all since I've always heard that Brodix made heads more for the GM crowd.

I took a look at their website:

http://www.brodix.com/Catalog/Heads/Smallford/T1_STD_F/t1_std_f.html

I know flow #'s aren't everything but it seems to me that the #'s they show seem to be on the low side when compared to Canfield #'s they show on their site:

http://www.canfieldheads.com/sbf_ac.html

or even AFR's site for their 205cc SBF head:

http://www.airflowresearch.com

I also know that you don't just look at the ultimate #'s at peak lift but what the #'s are as the valve opens and closes. Also the AFR's come CNC ported while the other's do not. At this time I'm not planning to do any port work on the heads when i get them so I want a head that will work "out of the box" without any porting or go with AFR's which are done and I don't have to worry about it.

What's your take on these heads knowing I want to use them "out of the box?" What about Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads?

My original plan was dead set on using Canfield heads on a 351W. I'm looking now perhaps at a stroker setup. It would only cost a little bit more to build a stroker than it is a 351W and I would have more useable torque and have the power without having to rev it as high + the extra cubes.
TIA.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for those of you that aren't familiar with my not yet finalized original plans for stage 2 of this project, here is part of a post I did a while back describing the stage 2 engine. This may help for some of you to know what my original stage 2 setup may be if I build it. The stroker setup may be similiar, only difference would be the extra cubes and I may need to change to a different cam.

"Stage 2, "wild granada" setup will happen next fall as I proceed to gather the parts necessary to do up the 351W motor for this stage. The short block will be the same as what I posted before with the exception of performance con rods, probably Crower (looking into them as I post). 11.5:1 comp with forged pistons, 6500 rpm max. Canfield heads "as cast" with CNC chambers, 2.02in, 1.60ex. valves. Camshaft will be a solid roller cam custom grind with these specs that we are using on desktop dyno: 110' lobe centre, 236' duration at 0.050" in/exh. 0.625" lift in./exh with 1.6 rr's. Victor Jr. single plane intake with 850cfm Holley DP (may use a four hole carb spacer for better response on the street). 1 3/4" headers with dual exhaust. 3500 stall convertor, 3.73 limited slip rearend (ford 9') and fuel system to handle the fuel demands of this engine. Hope I didn't leave anything out.

This is what desktop dyno shows with the above combination. [email protected], 438ft/lbs [email protected] (gross #'s). Changing those #'s to net #'s and plugging them into dragstrip dyno shows the car doing [email protected] with everything optimized. I wanted low 12's with this project so I have some room to play with, and don't forget that the Canfields won't be touched yet, porting them later will get me even better #'s."

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
For a bolt-on and go head, go with the AFR's. If you want room to grow later, go with the E-brocks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts