Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I bought a 1968 302 and tore it down. The pistons and cylinder bore taper are good so Im just going to hone them. The heads however are SOL.

My questions is this.

The C9TE heads are 69 truck heads with a decent size combustion chamber so I want to port them and get a valve job. The issue I came across was that the valves are riding really low in the bowl. One exhaust valve is shot and has 1/3 burnt out of it. All the seats need to be redone and the valves resurfaced.

If I was to stay with the cast in valve seats of the older sbf heads and ground them would my compression change alot with the valve sitting lower in the seat?

Is it worth it to just bore them out and install hardened seats. I'm not sure why Ford ran them as part of the head. I assume it was bc/ of the leaded gas.

I also came across a set of 1967 289 heads that have been redone with a 3 angle and valves. I was thinking of buying them, doing a port job and throwing them on the 302 it would bump up the compression and possible run better. What do you guys think

Has anyone had larger valves installed in early 302 heads with the cast in seats? If so how much larger and did you have to shape the combustion chamber to fit them in?

Thanks for the help
Bret

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
look for a used set of aluminum heads or aftermarket iron heads in good shape , be money ahead . working over a stock set can be done : you failed to say if the engine will just have very minor up grades... if thats all your looking for , stock iron will be fine . add up the cost first for the work/parts for stock modified heads

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
If I was to stay with the cast in valve seats of the older sbf heads and ground them would my compression change alot with the valve sitting lower in the seat?

Is it worth it to just bore them out and install hardened seats. I'm not sure why Ford ran them as part of the head. I assume it was bc/ of the leaded gas.
Bret - the first question is - what is your goal for this engine? I would generally agree with Dan that dumping the stock heads is monetarily and functionally better in the long-run, but specific use may dictate otherwise. Sunken valve seats are a bad thing, and not related to compression, but air flow from a valve that starts it's lift "in a hole". New seats would be required to restore factory performance. Don't be mislead - new valve seats are the same material as the original head. Ford makes iron heads with no seat inserts even today, as it is not a leaded fuel issue as many assume. Machine shops just go along with folks asking for seats due to unleaded fuel and just make some extra money that way. Why argue with a volunteer? ;) Real 'hardened seats' are exotic metals, not necessary with unleaded fuel, and very expensive.

David

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If the 289 heads are in good shape and you can get them for a decent buck I would grab them..Your right..They will boost compression and you can port them so they will flow better as well..Nice little upgrade over what was on the engine..(assuming this is a 2V engine)..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts