Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I out to lunch on this or what? All the piston ring manufactures recomend using a 400 grit hone when using moly rings. I have searched very hard trying to find a 400 grit 4 inch flex ball style hone and have come up empty handed. The fineist I found was 320. I even contacted Brush research who manufactures them and was told they dont stock it and it would be 3 weeks to get. I also wanted to clean up the lifter bores very gently using a 320 grit 7/8 ball hone and was told by another big engine rebuilding supplier that they dont stock the 320 and most use a 220 or 280. Is that true? I would think the fine 320 would be better. Any suggestions?

Blue Fastback

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue Fastback on 2/1/02 8:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
407 Posts
The ball type "glaze breakers" are NOT hones. A cylinder hone does indeed have a variety of grits of stones you can get. If you don't have a hone rent one or take the block to a machine shop and have it honed. Hopes this helps I was suprised no one jump on this one yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts