Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what every ones thoughts are on these heads. Seem to be basically the same as early 351w heads just have the air injected ports.
Worth building? Before anyone mentions buying after market heads im not interested in them.

Thanks for any help!
Jake

·
Registered
251 Posts
Worth building. Worth what? No in my opinion they are not worth building (from a performance standpoint) for the time and money you will have invested in them you could have bought a good set of aftermarket heads that will run circles around them. But you stated that you don't want AM heads so build them up they will work fine, just be prepared to have your ass handed to you by the guy who bought AM heads.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I say yes depending on how much money you are going to put into them..The early 351 heads are still among the best factory heads produced although that's not saying much as most of them are terrible...If you can do some decent home porting and get the heads freshened up for a decent price I say go for it....I would get an estimate from the machine shop before you proceed though and compare it to a name brand aftermarket head..

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Worth building. Worth what? No in my opinion they are not worth building (from a performance standpoint) for the time and money you will have invested in them you could have bought a good set of aftermarket heads that will run circles around them. But you stated that you don't want AM heads so build them up they will work fine, just be prepared to have your ass handed to you by the guy who bought AM heads.
I don't know abouit anything that will be hande to him . OP never said what level or use the heads will see.
Whar if he wants the best mpg ?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
They're as good as factory iron castings are going to get. Roughly the same potential as the GT40P iron heads. I liked them...had a set on an old Mustang that I couldn't afford aluminum heads for. I home ported them, did the guides and seats, 1.90/1.60 valves (IIRC), springs, retainers, etc. Was a good running 302. Would I spend the time & money on them again? Back when I was running that deal, there weren't as many aftermarket heads available for around $1000. Now there's lots of them. So no, I probably wouldn't spend the $$$ on factory iron heads unless the stuff was REALLY cheap....which mine were. Heads were free. Seats I had already, already had the guides as well and the old sprint car titanium valves, springs, and retainers. No cost for parts. Only machining which was nothing but trading the machinest for some work on the drywall of his house which cost me zero out of pocket, other than fuel getting there & back. At the time fuel was $1.40 a gal, IIRC. Real close to that anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts