Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't normally post these things.

Dad is in his Mid 60's, started having chest pains recently. They went in yesterday to look around and he has 2 arteries with about 90% blockage, think one has 3 blockages.

So, he is 2nd in line in the morning for the bypass.

I can't get down to Florida untill next week. But will be staying for a week once I get down there, to help out as needed.

I told him I wasn't ready to get the Fairlane back yet, and not from this.
He got a little laugh out of that.

So, please say a little prayer for my old man..

Jet

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Done. The medical technology in bypass surgery is amazing these days. I'm sure he will get through it just fine. They are going to want him to make some serious adjustments though particularly in his diet. Cholestrol meds will probably be in with it too. My brother has 5 stints. His arteries were clogged pretty bad and they were afraid to do a bypass on him. He had that done a few years ago and is only 64 right now so it came on early. His big problem is flying a lot on his job and living in hotels. On the road food is horrible for you. CHF(congestive heart failure) is common in my family too so I guess we have the genes.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Will do.

yep, heart stuff has really come a long ways...my wife had lymphoma at only 27, (started chemo on our middle sons 1st/2nd birthdays) the radiation treatments really messed up her coronary arteries, ended up with double bypass at 36(our youngest was only 7 months old at the time, and we had temp custody of a friends 9 yr old daughter- 2008 was a very rough year...) a pacemaker a few months later, then a stent last year... scary stuff for sure, but its really amazing how fast they get folks back on their feet.

weve got 4 boys (now 4,13,14,16) and our 14 yr old had three open hearts before he was 3 months old(weighed under 6 pounds at 3 months still), beat some weird 'uniformly fatal in infancy' lung disease, and has been 100% med free since he was 6 months old...his case was a outright miracle in so many ways...born on Easter Sunday just a day after our perinatologist told us he would have zero percent chance of survival, then they said he'd never get off the vent, then at 5 months 'might be healthy enough for a lung transplant', to a normal, bright, happy, albeit very skinny average kid...

we all go on 5 mile bike rides, have about the same health worries as anyone else (but in$urance is killing us), ive seen literally broken toes take longer recovery times than heart surgery.
Diet, exercise are pretty easy except like vacation road trips(pack healthy food cooler) and if he's a smoker, well that HAS to stop... luckily we are all non-smokers anyways, but Ive known a few folks that didnt quit, didnt watch diet after having issues, thats not good...

a few things I learned along the way- didnt know bypasses often only last a few years- but during that time the heart repairs itself by expanding 'collateral' arteries/veins- in my wifes case, she was VERY fortunate that her heart had already began sprouting collateral before her heart attack, and those little arteries prevented her heart attack from being fatal...she did lose a lot of function, but luckily shes small and gets by just fine on 25% ejection fraction...oh- big thing they dont tell you too- ejection fraction is normally 50-55%, not 100%- so a 25% is not great, but still near half normal...a good friendof our was so upset when docs told her that her husbands was only 20%, explained to her and she called her doctor- yes, a little less than half normal is better than 'hearing' it as 1/5 of normal as many folks expect 'normal'=100%... ejection fraction is simply a measure of percentage wise how much the heart contracts when it beats...wish docs would explain this better... and that 35% cutoff for a pacemaker is a safety thing, not a 'pacemaker is the only thing keeping them alive' type of thing... my wifes pacer still hasnt fired even once, let alone the defibrillator, its just there as they know at EF% under 35% can put at higher risk of ventricular fibrillation...
STRESS needs controlled- my biggest worry with my wife as she still can fly off the handle rather easily- if he's the type thats 'got a short fuse' he needs to let his doctor know, and deal with that now, if anti anxiety meds needed, so be it... I wish I woulda realized/had that discussion back post-op, and tried to nip that in the bud then... every time she gets upset it literally scares the hell out of me...

anyways, sorry for writing a book here- Godspeed on a quick and full recovery :)
Tim

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My wifes dad had that surgery last week with 95 percent blockage. He is 86 years of age. He got along fine even at 86. That was last week, we just left their home a couple hours ago and looks to me as well he stated he feels better and cannot keep him home. Doctors are smart these days. Wish him luck . Not saying this cause ya dad has problems at this time but enjoy his company all ya can for years are passing fast. My dad was hardest working man I ever knew , even raised kids that was not his but never did a thing with my dad enjoyable but a couple fishing trips. Spend time with ya dad , all will go well

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the prayers and the information.

Surg went well, 5 bypasses. He wasn't awake when Mom called. But the Dr's said it went well. He will be home in 4 to 7 days.

I will be flying down next week, looking forward to seeing him. Was last fall when I last saw them. He had came up to Indy to help work on my Falcon. They were supposed to be coming up in a few weeks, and he was looking forward to running it at the strip. That will be on hold for a bit.

Thanks again.

Jet

·
Registered
780 Posts
Best wishes to your dad. Positive mental outlook, diet and mild exercise are important.

I agree doctors are doing amazing things these days.

In May of this year I had just left my house to go on a 3 day motorcycle trip. "Bout 50 miles later I started having severe chest pain. I rode another 20 miles like that to the nearest small town clinic.

I was having a friggin heart attack while cruising on the freeway on my bike on a much needed vacation. I'm only 48 for christ sake!!!!:frown:

Turned out the cause of the attack was a piece of a tumor that had broken off and lodged itself in an artery. The tumor I have is very rare. Located inside the left side of my heart. I was immediately flown to San Francisco area for surgery.

They removed most of the tumor, replaced a valve and put a patch on my heart where the tumor was. The fact that they were able to accomplish this amazes me. Unfortunately they couldn't remove all of the tumor without destroying my heart.

I'm actually sitting at the doctors office while I type this with an IV pumping chemo drugs into me.

Not meaning to hijack your thread. My point is that if you saw me today you'd think I'm perfectly healthy only sporting a new, albeit very short haircut. I even recently took an overnight bike ride and attended the Nascar race at Sonoma..

Amazing things are becoming regular events in medicine these days:tup:

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Thanks everyone for the prayers and the information.

Surg went well, 5 bypasses. He wasn't awake when Mom called. But the Dr's said it went well. He will be home in 4 to 7 days.

I will be flying down next week, looking forward to seeing him. Was last fall when I last saw them. He had came up to Indy to help work on my Falcon. They were supposed to be coming up in a few weeks, and he was looking forward to running it at the strip. That will be on hold for a bit.

Thanks again.

Jet
Just read this today for the first time. Thankful that he is doing well, I really enjoyed meeting and talking with him last summer. He is a very nice person. Give him my regards.
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Robert,

Thank you..

Update,

Dad called me today, sounded better today. He was having some issues with heart rate yesterday, speeding up to 160 then slowing down and almost pausing. Thats been a on going problem for about 10 years though, not this severe before. It has been controlled with mediacation since he 1st noticed it.
He finally got some sleep last night, and ate today.

He did sound better, glad for that.

He is going to go to a rehab center for a few weeks, and I'm going to hold off on going down to help untill he gets out of rehab.

Jet

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Robert,

Thank you..

Update,

Dad called me today, sounded better today. He was having some issues with heart rate yesterday, speeding up to 160 then slowing down and almost pausing. Thats been a on going problem for about 10 years though, not this severe before. It has been controlled with mediacation since he 1st noticed it.
He finally got some sleep last night, and ate today.

He did sound better, glad for that.

He is going to go to a rehab center for a few weeks, and I'm going to hold off on going down to help untill he gets out of rehab.

Jet
Jet, I'm happy to hear your dad is doing well.
I'm 54 and had open heart surgery to replace a defective mitral valve April 18th, I spent 3 nights in the hospital and was back to work after 4-1/2 weeks. My biggest issue has been atrial fibrillation which makes my heart race like your dads. Afib feels like you're on a tread mill 24 hours a day but after 3 months I'm having fewer bouts with afib and am feeling much better. Your dad will be feel better soon, when the doctors get his bpm in check he will be good to go.

I wish you and your dad good luck and good health,
Gregg/MC4

1 - 16 of 16 Posts