Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody else have constant problems with thte thermostat housing gaskets? i had a 69 mustang with a 390 and i had to replace that gasket twice in a couple months, i now have a 64 falcon 289, i just got it and the gasket needs to be replaced, my buddy had a 66 mustang 289 and he replaced his twice in a couple months also. is it just me or does this happen often. its easy to do but it gets annoying...

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Only once, when one of the surfaces wasn't flush. Are you using RTV?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
DON'T USE RTV!!!!!!!!!!!

Damnitt! That is NOT a chevy you are driving, and RTV is not a fix all!

Please just remove the housing and run that bastage over a file until it's FLAT! Or place a nice sheet of 80 grit sand paper or emery cloth on a FLAT window and lay the housing on it and run it back and forth until all the surfaces that contact with the gasket and manifold are FLAT...

No RTV, nice new paper gasket and some thread sealer on the bolts if they go into a water jacket and NOT too tight. Hand tight is fine, less than 30#...

You won't have any more problems with it.

FE

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree with FE, except about the rtv......hey, that rhymes......anyway, file it flat, put a little bit of rtv on it and try it again.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I'm not saying use RTV solely, or use a lot. I always used to spread a super thin layer on both sides of the gasket. Not even a drop squeezed out. But i'll tell you what, I never had a leaking t-stat housing after I started doing that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fordracerguy on 9/22/06 7:11am ]</font>

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
That's what i've done most of the time too fordracer. I had a leak where the water pump meets up though but that's cause i was doing it in the dark and didn't see the gasket was only in on one side. Totally missed the other. Duh.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Also, others as well as myself have had bad problems with the chrome housings warping.

If you have one. Otherwise, the advice given is good.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
RTV is a silacone sealent comes in blue and balck maybe red (dobn't know) depending on what you want to seal, water or oil pasagess. I don't know why FE don't like it I used the blue on my intake ends , water ports, around crank , timming chain cover , oil pan and to stick the gaskets to the valve covers. I have had no leaks in 3 yrs.
Tim

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's a silicon based sealant. Technically....RTV stands for "Room Temperature Vulanizing". Which is a fancy way of saying it bonds in normal air....instead of with heat. Different versions are used for different types of sealing, including some pretty high heat applications. The different colors are a way of color coding the different types. The "blue" stuff works well for most engine sealing applications.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Them chrome pieces are junk - 460 leaked all the time till I got a oem replacement,been leak free since.I spread jb weld over the outside casting,sand smooth then painted it same as intake.

·
Registered
429 Posts
RTV has lots of good applications, even on Fords. Small block housings have a little lip in the that the stat snuggles into. To make sure it is seated properly when installing, I put the stat in place and rtv lightly rtv the gasket over the top and let it dry horizintally. After it dries, I put a light coat on the other side and put it on the intake. If you do that, the stat won't slip down as you are installing it.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Permatex (I think) makes a gray rtv that is made for water pumps and thermostat housings. I use a new paper gasket and lightly coat it on both sides. Never have had a leak.

I also use a little of this stuff to "glue" the thermostat into the housing. Then when you are mounting the housing to the intake, you don't have to worry about the thermostat seating properly.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
On 2006-09-21 14:57, gchero351 wrote:
FE, what is rtv for ?
It stands for "Retarded Timing Venereal" Generally if you use too much you should have one form of VD or another...

I have used it to make a gasket tacky for horizontal and or upside down type applications.

Fella's, RTV, to me is an excuse to mate to imperfect objects together.

When I assemble an engine or a motor, I make sure my surfaces are as good as they can be, and a paper/cork or rubber gasket will perform very well when used correctly.

Don't get mad... But, if you have to use RTV or anything else like it to keep a water pump or a thermostat housing or an intake mnnifold from leaking... YOU DID IT WRONG....

Don't get mad at me fella's, that's just my philosophy. I cheat occasionally, but only to use it as a tacky surface....

FE

P.S. I never have leaks in my work...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 9/25/06 1:39pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I always use RTV. thermostat housing, waterpump, timingchain cover plate, oil pan... I dont wait for leaks to tell me that the mating surfaces were not good. The only crime is useing too much.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It's bad when RTV is used like a band-aid, like FE said. If it's just a coverup, eventually you'll have problems.

But, used correctly, it is a great aid, and in some cases, better replacement, for a paper or cork gasket (case in point, many use RTV to replace cork manifold seals)

It forms better to irregular shapes, which is why its useful in both warped thermostat housings and also sealing intakes. Just like anything, use it in moderation. You don't want it gumming up your oil pickup screen or pump.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts