Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm new to the forum although I've owned my car for several years, It is a 1964 Falcon Futura 4 door with a 200. I parked it for a year while figuring out a few other issues and when I brought it back out of storage some dash issues have arisen. All of my dash lights were out and after checking my trusty shop manual and this site I found the inline fuse and after 3 part stores have dash lights now. My 3 largest issues are that my turn signal light doesn't light up on the dash, nor does my high beam indicator. My front turn signals do not work but the rears do. We did replace the flasher before I parked it. My question is do the front signals not working and the indicator not working have something in common? When I'd lost a bulb before the indicator was a steady on. I haven't pulled out the dash yet to check the bulbs I probably will this weekend, but I figured while I was in there I could check any other solution you guys may have so not to pull the cluster twice. I thought that it may have simply been a ground, but since the fuse was blown and I've fixed that I a bit stumped. All the other gauges seem to work fine just the indicators don't.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If the bulbs aren't burned out you might want to check the circuit for any shorts or opens.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My 3 largest issues are that my turn signal light doesn't light up on the dash, nor does my high beam indicator. My front turn signals do not work but the rears do. We did replace the flasher before I parked it. My question is do the front signals not working and the indicator not working have something in common? When I'd lost a bulb before the indicator was a steady on. I thought that it may have simply been a ground, but since the fuse was blown and I've fixed that I a bit stumped. All the other gauges seem to work fine just the indicators don't.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
The indicator is wired in such a way that you'd scratch your head wondering how the freakin' thing works at all. The wires actually come from the positive side from both front bulbs. When you turn on the left side, the indicator bulb will get the gound connection through the right bulb and when you turn on the right signal it gets ground through the left bulb. Most people glaze over when I try to explain in detail. Here is the wiring diagram for a '64. You might try starting with the switch in the steering column. It could just have corrosion or dirt on the contacts. Use an ohm meter or other continuity checker and check at the plug on the column before you pull the instrument cluster.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Early falcons have the cluster grounds through the cluster mounting screws. Add a ground wire from the cluster body to somewhere on the body to insure a good ground. A little WD-40 in the switch contacts may help as well.
R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.