Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having trouble getting the dash lights going in my 63' galaxie 500.... Checked the fuses... All ok.... Changed all the bulbs Out... Was wondering if they have to be in the light sockets to work so they have ground??? Maybe that's my problem??? Also read where there may be corrosion on the switch and I was gonna remove and try to refurb it... Any insight as to removal and what to look for??? All help welcomed and appreciated... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The bulbs are not going to light up with just one wire running to them.

The plastic housing (socket) has metal ground-tabs around it. To check the light you have to at least ground one of those tabs.....plugging it in the dash will do that. (if the dash is of course grounded)

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
light socket grounds to housing...

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Sounds like the lightswitch.

I've removed mine a number of times. Not that hard.

Maybe the real mechanics can tell you if this is something to try, but electronic contact spray might help?

Spray the switch, let it dry, put it back.

I took one apart once, and could not get it to line up when I put it back together. So, I used a spare switch that I had in my garage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies... Been working on the clock all day... Got it to where it will move around the face now but it stops around the 25 second mark every time??? But that's another thread.... Will be plugging the lights up here in a few and see what happens... I thought it would need to go to ground through the socket to complete circuit... I'll chime back in a while.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.... Let there be light!!! I plugged them in the sockets, turned on the switch and boom... Lights lit... Most of them anyway... Gonna get a wireing diagram or book... Any suggestions???

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the diagram... But looking for a manual or a PDF I could print off... Keep them coming... Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
maybe this will help...
right click and save picture..that way you can blow it up to see better or print

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those diagrams are great... Exactly what I was looking for.... Hopefully they will print good... Thank a mill...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts