Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get my dash lights working. Wiring diagram shows a 1 amp inline fuse but I can't seem to find it. Any clues? Also, how is the instrument panel grounded?
cheers
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS: I have no instrument lights at all, but the gushes work and the indicator light works as well.

Thanks
Matt

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
PS: I have no instrument lights at all, but the gushes work and the indicator light works as well.

Thanks
Matt
not positive but i think the fuse is on the out side of headlight switch.....
i would disconnect battery and remove HL switch ,,
check that coil spring looking thing on switch for bad contact/corrotion...
clean it of ...

my switch would only work every now and then...
i clean it up and now it works perfectly...

theres a black wire bolted to dash from harness,, and that provides main ground to dash/instruments etc.....

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill look at the headlight reostat. Never thought of that. I think I'll also run a secondary ground directly to the back of the cluster.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i should be a light blue wire with a red stripe behind the instrumental panel.

dont mean to thread jack but when i installed a 62 ranchero wiring harness into my 63 falcon it didnt come with an inline fuse. should i put one in?!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know this is a little different than the topic but invest in some LED's as well. You won't regret it and you will see things alot sharper and brighter

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I don't mean to jack this either but heres another trick. While you're in there remove the little blue covers on the lights (it makes the lights look green) and you'll get good clear light on the panel without that old school green tint. Now my dash matches my other black faced Auto Meter guages at night! :tup:

John

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
The fuse is inline and is to the left of the steering column and above the ebrake lever. Somewhere up there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Disreguard this. Posted in error and I can't seem to delete the message or photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
You don't say what year the vehicle is. If it is a 65 it is the center fuse in the fuse block as Bluebird posted marked 'Inst '. If it's an earlier year the fuse for the instruments is an inline fuse seperate from the fuse block on the back side of the headlight sw.

Early Falcons as well as many orhter fords used the mounting screws for the instrument cluster for the ground. In 65 ford added a ground wire to the harness to ground the cluster. No matter the year the safe bet is to add a new seperaste ground to the cluster. That helps to unsure a good ground.

R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts