Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, can ya tell I'm doing my dash? Anyways, the aluminum trim that holds your knobs, radio, heater controls etc. how is it finished? This case a 64's trim. Is it anodized as well? I've been scotch briting some areas and it seems that it is anodized. Whichever, how do I go about refinishing it? I've done good removing the yellow from the speedo while keeping the brushed rain, and kinda want the same for the dash trim. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
71 Posts
It can be redone but costly. I have redone mine with Greg Donahue and the results were ok but not to my standers. If you send them make sure your parts are not pitted because he won't remove them all. It cost about $400.00 to do all three parts. When dash was reassembled its so busy most people won't notice I hope. It is better then if I din't do it. Some people stip with air craft stipper straightline out pits and clear coat.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking of stripping and having that brushed shiney look. I have a dent and scratch though so something must be done.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
If it's Anodized, I don't think Aircraft stripper will remove it.
Theres a Posting from Taylor Fabrications on here about Anodizing. Think it's Village Buffing supplys or somthing like that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thats true. I don't believe Aircraft stripper will take off anodizing either but it will remain the black paint. The straight lining that you would do with sandpaper, buffing, etc. will remove the anodizing. You will not get into deep pits, etc. It would have to go into an asset etch, I believe, and then be reanodized. That is why I would just spray it with clear coat.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or using POR products I've seen, but we'll see soon. Glisten PC I believe from POR is the clear coat for this as moisture hardens it moreso. I figured it was anodized, like 99 percent of the car is.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It is anodized. Mine was. Buffed off all anodization and where the brushed aluminum was I painted the top "blue" color of my car. Greg Donahue will fix these pieces for you back to original but it is COSTLY.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Folks
To strip anodizing just take cold oven cleaner spray on good coat let work for about 15 -20 min. rinse good with water and use green scrubber to get off sludge. try it on scrap piece of aluminum.(anodized)and practice .DO NOT LET OVEN CLEANER STAY ON TOO LONG.use 600 wet sandpaper to smooth moving to 1000 then polish to luster you want,then clearcoat or have it reanodized.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts