Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of new wheels that would look good if they were powdercoated and not chrome, how do I get the chrome off ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
sand blast them. I think most powder coating places will sand blast things before the coat them if they need it. I know I got some great deals from one place by taking things in already sand blasted but I think most powdercoaters have the ability to do the sand blasting.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I don't think sandblasting will remove the chrome, it will just roughen up the surface... which may or may not let the powder/paint stick.

You may have to have it chemically (electrically) removed, by having a chrome shop reverse the chroming process.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Safest thing to do? Call the shop you want to do the power coating and ask them. They will tell you what to do and who can do it.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
i spent years working as a metal polisher and those wheels will need to be stripped,we used to suspend things that needed stripping in a tank of sulphuric acid and use an electrical current to strip the chrome and nickel off.its a job worth getting done properly,if you take them to an electroplaters theyll be able to strip them and it shouldnt cost much.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I bought a set of 15x8 Wheel Vintiques styled steel wheels for a '68 or '69 so I could put some big drag radials on them, but they only came in chrome. I took emory cloth and scuffed them until they were as dull as I could get them and then I powder coated them. I used the Eastwood kit which was argent silver w/ the clear top coat. They have held up perfectly with no flaking or chipping. The only problem is being careful with the temperature becase the clears tend to crack which mine have done if you look real closely. But if you scuff the crap out of them and take them to a professional shop, I am sure they can do it without the cracking. Of course, having only a tiny kitchen oven to do it in with the heating elements so close to the surface of the wheel probably had something to do with the slight cracking of the clear. Other than that, I am extremely happy with the reseults and how well the powdercoat has adhered to thescuffed up chromed. Plus I dig argent way more than chrome!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I've heard of some women who can take care of a trailer hitch for you, maybe you can find one who'll do wheels!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had numerous chrome parts on my Harley sand blasted and powder coated and they came out great. The powder coating companies do this all the time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On 2006-08-04 19:39, blown68 wrote:
I bought a set of 15x8 Wheel Vintiques styled steel wheels for a '68 or '69 so I could put some big drag radials on them, but they only came in chrome.
You know their 62 series are bare metal steelies? The 64 series are the chrome version of the 62 series, I assume your wheels were the 64 series?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If I had gotten the 62 series, that sure would have saved a lot of time. I think that in order for me to get the bare ones at the time, it was a long wait as they only had the chrome ones in stock and I was kind of impatient. Oh well, it seem I always do things the hard way!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts