Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone used deadnutson.com for their water pump restoration service? And if so, how is your water pump holding up? I'm torn between rebuilding the heavy original off my FE 390, or going with an aluminum modern replacement. TSP and other companies "claim" that their new ones flow up to 40% more than the old ones, as well as being lighter. Is there a consensus as to which brand is the best bargain for the money. I'd like to do this job once and not have to worry about it again for 100,000 miles, which probably means I will be dead and never have to worry about it. Although the original was working fine when removed and apparently did hold up for 50 years. Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Imo, next to nothing made these days is going to last 50 years. 99% Chinese junk on the aftermarket. I always use, or rebuild,original when possible.

·
Subscriber
749 Posts
a stock pump should be fine. and they're cheap-
i'm not sure that flowing 40% more water would be of any benefit - unless you've got a 40% bigger radiator...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a stock pump should be fine. and they're cheap-
i'm not sure that flowing 40% more water would be of any benefit - unless you've got a 40% bigger radiator...
Oh, I didn't think about the radiator being a bottleneck. The $40 ones are so cheap they kind of scare me. I'll probably just send mine off to be rebuild. Thanks for the insight guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ignition protection. make sure that electric water pump is not going to turn your engine compartment into a bomb. there is a SAE standard for ignition protection. i’ll have to look it up Kodi however.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Deadnutson has a good rep and they do some nice things, I wouldn't be concerned going that route if you want concours correct. If you don't want a specific date code and casting, I would likely go to Autozone and get a new iron. They do just fine and I push a lot of FEs through here

As far as too much flow, it really can't happen unless you overdrive the pump without a thermostat and cause cavitation. When you increase flow against a thermostat or restrictor, through the block,, it's sort of like packing the water in better in all the jackets, not really a circulation volume benefit. I personally don't think it's needed most of the time, but it sure doesn't hurt. Stewart Water pumps has a decent article if you look it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts