Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to put a 4 barrel intake on my 83 Bronco, got an 83 factory 4 barrel for $20, and just happened to be out and about when I remembered I needed a set of intake bolts. Now I know I could have just gone and bought aftermarket, or even gone and picked up some grade 8's at the hardware store, but I was have a Duh! moment, and couldn't remember the size I needed. So since I was just across the street from my local dealership and thought I would just go in and pick up a set...he says with high hopes
Well I go in and ask the guy behind the counter for a set, and he says nope! The 302 isn't made anymore, so they no longer stock the parts. I cannot believe they don't carry such a simple thing, I know the engine is no longer made, but in one shape or form this engine has been around since the early 60's, and they don't carry the parts anymore??? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like everytime I look for little pieces, they never seem to have them on hand, and don't even offer to try and order them.
Now I'm not saying they should keep large stocks of everything on hand, I'm not even saying they should have a few things around, but don't they have a central warehouse they could keep stuff when a customer wants a common piece? It's not like I was asking for a set of heads for an FE or something else that hasn't been actively produced in the last 30 years, this is something for an engine that stopped production only a few years ago, and is a common item used on lots of engines, or am I just asking way to much of a dealership??? Thanks for letting me vent!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Humphrey351 on 11/21/03 11:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
I'm not defending dealerships by any means, but in almost 30 years of WORKING at them,,,, I can guarantee we've/they've NEVER stocked 302 intake bolts. When a vehicle comes in that needs one, we usually get them from a vendor, or one of the dealerships 'special places' to get one of those items.
I've NEVER heard of anyone AT a dealership needing a complete set.
Again, one of those things, whereas, if the dealership doesnt sell at least a couple ever so often, IT is not ordered/reordered. There'd have to be a sign of IT being a sellable/marketable item to even be stocked.

I mean, I DON"T even try and purchase stuff like that there. That's what Scummit and Jegs is for........

Oh, and if/whenever I need a special bolt, I usually head down to the John Deere store, and go thru their HUGE assortment of hardness/lengths of bolts, then when I'm NOT in a rush, I order from Jegs/whomever, the proper bolts for later install...........My .002

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drag79stang on 11/21/03 8:40pm ]</font>

·
Registered
199 Posts
A two week wait for O2 sensors?

The local O'Reilly Auto Parts has Borg-Warner O2 sensors with a variety of pigtail lengths-the OEM sensors were $48 each.

I try to use a local vendor before I go to the dealership-fortunately we have a racetrack in out community, and most of the guys are running 5.0Ls in their cars, so I don't have to worry about deletion of needed parts for a while.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
If you hadn't noticed. Most of the time they don't call them dealerships any more. The are called Ford stores.

That was the first warning that most of us missed (me included). They sell new cars...period. You go there to buy a new car, not car parts, seems like that for the after market now, even SVO/SVT/FMS is advertised as a separate division...no longer a part of FoMoCo. It like BAskin-Robbins, you go there to buy Ice cream, it's an Ice Cream store....you don't go ther to buy milk, or cream or sugar - the stuff it takes to make the Ice Cream. I know, its a simple anology (probably wrong), but it fits!

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Again, unless it's a BIG dealership,(sorry, ford store),
... they are NOT going to stock any parts that DO NOT do at least a once every couple of months turnover/resell. If it doens't sell, they don't/won't stock it. Their stupid parts computers will not allow the parts to be stocked. EVEN if they did stock the item at one time, if it does not have a resell within so much time, it will not ask to restock it. Bottom line. What sells, what doesn't.
There is a way to override the ordering gig, but then again, special circumstances usually, only. (owners kids car needs something,etc,etc.). Otherwise, YOU do just like we at the dealeship do...........You go pick the parts you need up at a LARGE dealership that DOES stock the parts.
Again, not standing up for anyone, but NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE dealership can stock ALL the little bitsy pieces a person needs from time to time.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
One thing I do know about SVO/etc is that the dealer has to be certified to even sell the cars. The closest one here is San Angelo, about 85 miles. If you buy and SVO type vehicle and it needs service or you break it, it HAS to go to an SVO certified dealer. THe others won't touch it. Not that it's a bad thing - you get people that are trained to work on it.

The dealer here is pretty good. If they don't stock it but it's in the books, they can get it here in a week or so. As for intake, water pump, valve cover, etc - I prefer the hardware store. We have a place here called "Bible Hardware". If you can't find the bolt or screw you need there, forget it. The WP and intake on the 302 are all stainless fasteners for less than $20. They even carry some stainless socket head cap screws. They have a big selection of the black oxide socket heads. They also have a good bit of stainless oval head screws which are perfect for interior trim work.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
You're absolutely right about the SVO stuff. We are NOT svo certified, so WE cannot even be scheduled to go to SVO schooling.
If I (as a senior master ford tech), purchased an SVO, (like a lightning I want), I could not work on it. I"d have to bring it to one of the SVO stores up in the twin cities for any kind of warranty work...........sucks, but all too true.

And, it's not a matter of just not 'being smart enough'.
There are hundreds, (alot), of special tools that are required, besides the other maintenence items, we'd also have to stock for SVO vehicles.

Warranty's a bitch, but you gotta play by fords rules, or not play at all..................

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drag79Stang,
Thanks for clearing that up, I was not really aware of how dealership (or Ford stores) worked. I was just hoping that like some stores, they would have a central order place so they don't have to keep the stuff on hand. Makes sense to me now, Thanks!

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Thanks..........

And that means what?.......(senior master tech)...

Means I've jumped thru all the necessary/mandatory hoops, (thusfar and again), to make our store shop competent.
Money?.........yeah, right?.......anything else, besides the stupid little gifts ford throws at ya?........whatever.

So sick of this ford **** it drives me absolutely friggin' nuts. Politics, Bullshit, more politics, more bullshit.

Cruise...........the first one after 911........(after they canceled that one because of 'scaredie cats'.

Love my job

·
Registered
56 Posts
With all the skill's and qualifications our part's department guy's have, they could easily get a high paying job at any convenience store or fast food restaurant.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GAYJOEY on 11/26/03 10:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
I was thinking the parts guys qualifications would be more in line of filling'/loading trucks for UPS, or something. YOu need a part/box...........here, try this one.........it MIGHT fit/work.........

That, or shoe salespeople..........

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
There ought to be a rule that parts guys were "only" open to retired or injured machanics. 'Course that will never happen. He couldn't take the ribbing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts