Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I bought a dash pad from Dearborn Classics, dashpad wrinkled up in one area, Dearborn sent me new dash pad and wanted me to return the old one. I took old one to UPS and because it was so long they charged me $51.50 to ship it back to Dearborn. Called Dearborn, told them I didn't think it was right I should have to pay shipping on warranty item. They said FedEx might have been cheaper and they didn't pay for return shipping on warranty items. I asked them what it would matter who shipped it if they didn't pay for warranty return shipping. They told me they were just trying to save me money on shipping, try FedEx next time. Made me feel so much better they gave me that piece of advice. Buyer Beware. We don't stand a chance out here. Oh yes, here's the kicker, if the vender deems that there's nothing wrong with the old one I may not get a refund on the second one they sent me. Forgot to say I had to pay for the second one up front before they would send it. Otherwise it'd been a month before the transaction could have been finished. I'd have had to ship the old one back, wait for the vender to make a decision and then they'd have sent a replacement. I've spent thousands with Dearborn Classics. Jim PS If Dearborn or the Vender decide to not return my money for the second one I will be contesting the transaction through MasterCard. That's helped me in previous situations like this.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Guys,
I bought a dash pad from Dearborn Classics, dashpad wrinkled up in one area, Dearborn sent me new dash pad and wanted me to return the old one. I took old one to UPS and because it was so long they charged me $51.50 to ship it back to Dearborn. Called Dearborn, told them I didn't think it was right I should have to pay shipping on warranty item. They said FedEx might have been cheaper and they didn't pay for return shipping on warranty items. I asked them what it would matter who shipped it if they didn't pay for warranty return shipping. They told me they were just trying to save me money on shipping, try FedEx next time. Made me feel so much better they gave me that piece of advice. Buyer Beware. We don't stand a chance out here. Oh yes, here's the kicker, if the vendor deems that there's nothing wrong with the old one I may not get a refund on the second one they sent me. Forgot to say I had to pay for the second one up front before they would send it. Otherwise it'd been a month before the transaction could have been finished. I'd have had to ship the old one back, wait for the vendor to make a decision and then they'd have sent a replacement. I've spent thousands with Dearborn Classics. Jim PS If Dearborn or the Vendor decide to not return my money for the second one I will be contesting the transaction through Master Card. That's helped me in previous situations like this.
Yep, always, always, always pay with a good credit card for stuff like this. Pay return shipping with Credit card so you can dispute return shipping cost as well cause it's BS to have to pay anything for defective items.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
There are places where you can look at any part one may need with it in front of you. Why would anyone put theirself in that situation to begin with? My wife had a card once say 25 years ago but sissors got it. Good luck with your delima.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll quit depending on Dearborn Classics so much. They've always gave me good service before, but I paid for it. Good service is to be expected. I don't expect it from them anymore. If the warranty they provide means I have to pay more for their mistakes or their venders mistakes I'll go elsewhere. Jim PS I won't be persuing this any further unless they don't reimburse me for the price of the second one. Then, wars on. I've won before over similar situations. Mastercard don't take sides.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think I'll quit depending on Dearborn Classics so much. They've always gave me good service before, but I paid for it. Good service is to be expected. I don't expect it from them anymore. If the warranty they provide means I have to pay more for their mistakes or their venders mistakes I'll go elsewhere. Jim PS I won't be persuing this any further unless they don't reimburse me for the price of the second one. Then, wars on. I've won before over similar situations. Mastercard don't take sides.
Jim,

I'm sorry for the situation. Eckler's purchasing them has done nothing to improve customer service, selection or pricing. And, I wouldn't expect that they will reimburse you for the return shipping no matter the outcome.

You might want to give a call to MasterCard to discuss the situation with them in advance so you are on record with them, pending Dearborn's next course of action. Especially considering they required payment for return shipping on a warranty item and it doesn't matter whether they honor the warranty claim or not.

With the way Dearborn is treating you right now, why do they deserve the courtesy of waiting to see if they will grace your request and stick you with a $50+ shipping bill? I assume they charged you with the shipping on the new one as well? They had their chance to provide good customer service and make things right. They choose to treat you like a scammer instead. I can't say that I would be waiting around for them while they hold my money (x2) to decide if and when I would get part of it back.

Best of luck with your claim.
Paul

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
This is one of the parts that suck about not dealing with local vendors. I don't think it is unreasonable for the vendor to expect the customer to pay for return shipping and for the replacement item before they've had a chance to see and access the faulty piece. Good customer service would be to reimburse for the return shipping, if the item is accepted as a legitimate defective item, but that still might only be a 50 - 50 chance. What would be real annoying is if they deny the warranty claim and the two have to be exchanged again to get the money back on the second dash. Not fun, or quick.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I guess I have a hard time with the process. From a businesses perspective, sure, it makes perfect sense. They take no risks, assume no costs, and stand to make an additional sale on the deal.

Maybe I have worked for small businesses for too long, but that is crappy customer service for a long-time customer that has spent thousands of dollars with them over the years.

If something like this happened with a long-time customer of mine (or any customer of mine, for that matter) I would start with an apology (did they apologize?) I would want the dash pad back to inspect myself before going to the third-party vendor. If it looked like a warranty issue I would discuss that with my vendor, not hold up my customer, and I would be shipping a new pad out, at my cost, and be refunding the return cost of the first dash pad.

If Jim had to have a new pad before he could get the new one to me, sure, I would charge him for the pad and the shipping, but they would be essentially at my cost. Dearborn made their money on the first one, no need to skin him a second time. When you do something like that for your customers, you find that you don't have people trying to cheat the system.

Dearborn needs to take ownership of the situation, not sit back a cry I'm just the middleman. They offered the part up for sale and Jim bought it from them, not the manufacturer. They should stand behind what they sell. If it turns out that Jim used a prybar to install it and damaged it himself, at least he has a replacement part and as a vendor, Dearborn would have done EVERYTHING they could to help him out.

Whether the damage was Jim's fault or not (and I'm not implying that it was by any means), Dearborn's customer service department failed.

Don't think so? Look at the title of this post.

Paul

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just got a molded package tray like this:

Package Tray, Molded, Hardtop, Galaxie 500 XL, 1962-1963 - Ford Parts

from Dearborn Classics and it didnt fit my 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL

Its not long enough to reach the rear window, I asume its because its a fastback
It should have been clearly informed in the description of the product that it didnt fit 63 fastbacks

When choosing vehicle in the search function and in the account on their webpage, its impossible to choose 63 1/2

Ive sent them an email about this, I guess it takes some days for them to send me an answer

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as getting the wrong parts, this has happened to me on just about every car I've built, it always pays to call the vendor directly (not email, if it can be avoided) and explain the car you're building to them. This will also give you cover if they send you the wrong part. If you can give a name for the person you clarified the part with, then the responsibility falls on them and they'd be hard-pressed to even have you pay for shipping on any return.

I made this mistake with Dennis Carpenter. I called them to clarify if a specific window seal was for my '70 XL convertible and the person on the other end verified the part number for me. Ended up being for the fastback, totally different length, and since I didn't have a name for who I talked to they wouldn't waive the restocking fee and I had to pay for shipping it back as well (which turned into them refunding me about 20% of the purchase price in the end). That was the only and last time I ordered from them.

This is one of the parts that suck about not dealing with local vendors.
Tell me about it, I would love to have a place within a hundred miles that I could go to and just buy the parts directly. Having that direct contact when you're buying old parts is worth the extra cash you'd pay over a mail order website scenario.

Yeah...I'm not a dearborn classics fan either. Macs all the way for me. Their prices are way better too.
The people at Macs have been really nice from my experience, they called up both times I've made large orders to discuss when I'd like things shipped as some things weren't in stock.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had company's send me an RMA and Shipping sticker through e-mail. It's not hard to do, companies that want to keep your business do that. Dearborn Classics lost me as a customer. They've got the ability to do what they want. They figure they are big, you are little. Since the suppliers are limited we have to put up with it because there's few places we can go to to get parts. I'm glad my restoration is over. Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had company's send me an RMA and Shipping sticker through e-mail. It's not hard to do, companies that want to keep your business do that. Dearborn Classics lost me as a customer. They've got the ability to do what they want. They figure they are big, you are little. Since the suppliers are limited we have to put up with it because there's few places we can go to to get parts. I'm glad my restoration is over. Jim
Totally agree, I've bought from dozens of places online over the years and sending out prepaid packing labels is how the most professional places operate. The easier you make it for the consumer, the more likely they are to continue to work with you. I get that it's a hassle to restock items, but eating the cost of shipping on returns is just part of doing business.

And really, we're not spending $10 here. Most of these orders are in the hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. I would've spent another two grand at Dennis Carpenter, but their return policy and stubbornness convinced me to take the rest of my restoration needs to Mac's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts