Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the difference in quality is between all of these? the Dearborn Classic 500's are ~$100 more than the others. I've heard the horror stories about the general quality of the Vintiques and Specialties. I'm looking for a set, but I'd gladly spend the extra on the Dearborns if they really are that much better than the others.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I'm guessing Dearborn probably buys them from the same place, but it would be interesting to know how many people actually make these wheels. It would be great if you could see them before buying.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hope this helps. I just posted some of this information in another thread. I have 15 X 8 Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500s purchased through Summit Racing. Before I bought them, I read all the negatives about balancing and improperly welded wheels and bent wheels out of the box. I bought them anyway, knowing that I may have to send them back and forth a few times before I was happy. All four arrived and tires were mounted and balanced without an issue. I did follow the instructions from Wheel Vintiques and found one place within a 25 mile radius of my house that had the equipment to lug-centric balance the wheels/tires. I guess this type of balancing simulates the wheel mounted to the hub of the vehicle with the lugnuts holding it on. I've had no issues, so I guess following the instructions worked. I think normal balancing would have had the same result, but I did not want to chance it. As far as quality, the Wheel Vintiques appear to have good chrome plating (no chipping or fading so far), but the black paint could have been nicer/smoother. Paint flaws are not noticable unless your face is down by the wheel. For the money (seemed reasonable) I am happy with them.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I concur with all that 67XL390 said and I have been very happy with several Wheel Vintage 500 mags that I have bought through Summit.

Through out the last 4-5 years I've bought a pair of 15x7's, 15x8's, and just last year when they first came out a pair of 15x10" Magnum 500's. Each pair has had several drag slicks mounted and balanced and each pair has been smooth at my top track speed of 120+. I have had a much as 3 1/2oz weight on a wheel, but that may have included some inadequacies of the slick too. If I had mounted them myself, I would have spun the slick 180 degrees on the wheel and rebalance to see if it improved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found this post about the difference in the Mfg of wheels. This happened more than 10 years ago and situations may have changed. I was at the Pomona Roadster show and purchase two sets of wheels from Wheels Vintiques. One set of Magnums for the 73 Mach 1 and another set of wheels for the 65 coupe. When I got home, I realized I forgot to ask if the centers for the 65 could be painted black instead of the brown/bronze normally associated with those wheels. After several calls and e mails back and forth, I received a letter and a check for the refund of my purchase from the owner of Wheels Vintigue stating he had heard I was going to be a difficult buyer and suggested I purchase my wheels from someone else. They are located in Fresno and I too lived in CA...I called Specialty Wheel in Oregon and relayed my story and the an on the phone just laughed and said he made the wheels for WV, that they were nothing more than a welding shop. He then said he'd paint the centers any color I wanted and would ship them FREE. He stated he was the owner of the Company. I learned later that the owner had passed away. That happened sometime in the late "90...The chrome is still shiny and I never had an issue with the balance. I'm not aware of Dearborn so I won't comment on them. Ever since that incident I have told this story many a time and still to this day would NEVER buy a wheel or other products from WV, a welding shop...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Wheel Vintiques is now owned by Coker Tires. For the last 2 or 3 years. Myself I like Wheelsmith.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd mention too that American Racing makes a version of the Magnum 500. I just bought a set for my convertible. Although I must confess I'd probably going with a different version of the magnum for my '68 XL. But I thought I'd mention it in case someone else likes these styles.

For a 17 x 8 rim it is very light as it's all aluminum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts