Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some new door sill scuff plates. The decals were not on them but were in a pack for me to instal. I managed to screw decals up every time i tried to stick them on my fairlanes valve covers a few years back . I would like to get these right so how is it done? I suck at it.:confused:

·
Registered
289 Posts
two ways to do it.

1. soapy water and a hair dryer... (1 cup of water to 3 drops of dish soap) Spray the soapy water and place the decal. Pat down the decal with a terry cloth to remove excess water and take the hair dryer to accelerate the drying time. It's pretty simple.

2. thin strip of masking tape... place the decal to where you want it. Once you achieve where you want the decal... take a thin strip of masking tape to one end so that one side of the decal can flip over. Remove the backing off the decal and flip it back onto the area you're placing it. Now remove the masking tape and you're done.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
two ways to do it.

1. soapy water and a hair dryer... (1 cup of water to 3 drops of dish soap) Spray the soapy water and place the decal. Pat down the decal with a terry cloth to remove excess water and take the hair dryer to accelerate the drying time. It's pretty simple.

2. thin strip of masking tape... place the decal to where you want it. Once you achieve where you want the decal... take a thin strip of masking tape to one end so that one side of the decal can flip over. Remove the backing off the decal and flip it back onto the area you're placing it. Now remove the masking tape and you're done.
:confused: -- So there is a removable backing then ? On no 1 is the backing removed before using the water? Darn,I just know I'm going to ruin it. I sure messed them up on my 56. :(

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry... yeah- remove the backing. The soupy water is used mainly because you really goofed up- you can still slide it in place. I usually use the soapy water method for really big decals like those "hockey stick" racing stripes that's on mustangs. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, I'l give it a try later this summer when I get back to it. Thanks a lot guys.---:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts