Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a reverse manual Performance Automatic valve body for my C4. It's an early 69 case. I'm looking at getting a deep pan now also. Is there a deep filter to suit the early filter style or am i going to have to make one? Anyone got any pics if they have made one.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've seen that filter but it won't fit. It'll leave a gap on one side where it mounts. I've searched many threads and haven't seen anything for early vb's yet. Maybe if i make an adapter plate that goes between the vb and filter out of a piece of sheet metal. It'll basically look like a filter gasket in shape but extend on the section where the later style filter misses. Get what i mean?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Get a filter from a 4WD transmission.
It has a rubber gromet and an extension tube.

·
Registered
502 Posts
i dont know of any deep filter for the early valve body. if you find one, tell me, please.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
On 2006-03-16 13:30, zc347 wrote:
i've seen that filter but it won't fit. It'll leave a gap on one side where it mounts. I've searched many threads and haven't seen anything for early vb's yet. Maybe if i make an adapter plate that goes between the vb and filter out of a piece of sheet metal. It'll basically look like a filter gasket in shape but extend on the section where the later style filter misses. Get what i mean?
I ran a filter I fabricated for some years with my first steel pan. I just very gently tacked a pc of tube over the opening on the filter and made it long enough to get where I wanted it. I then sealed it up with epoxy, worked well.
C-4's have screen so they are relatively easy to clean and reuse.
I do understand the feeling of putting a new filter on though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mario428 on 3/18/06 7:07am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've narrowed it down to 2 options.
Option 1. As Mario stated above, tac on a tube to my standard filter.
Option 2. Using a piece of sheet metal, make a plate to go where the filter is. Cut a hole in it, add a tube. then use some sort of universal filter at the bottom of the tube.
Which do you guys recommend? option 1 is probably easier

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Here is pic of your second option. This is a custom filter built by JPT. It was in a full on race C4 in a dragster. It might give you some ideas.
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/7606502661.jpg&s=x11

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: clevelandstyle on 3/18/06 7:54pm ]</font>

·
Registered
502 Posts
i think some people keep missing the words "early C4". anything with the little tab on the side is late model C4.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm gonna go with my option 2. That pic from clevelandstyle is excellent and exactly what i had in mind. I'll use a torqueflight 727 gasket and pick up some steel this week. Hopefully have some pics in a week or two for everyone.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Option 2 is very good BUT.

Use a mesh style filter only.
Do not use a dacron filter.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On 2006-03-20 04:29, Stuarta wrote:
Option 2 is very good BUT.

Use a mesh style filter only.
Do not use a dacron filter.
why's that? i just bought the filter today and it isn't mesh.

·
Registered
502 Posts
is this dacron problem just a C4 thing? i know the dacron is preferred on Th400s & torqueflites.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Not 100% sure on that.I have seen both ideas myself .Maybe it is a preference thing.I've used a dacron filter in FMX before and no issues.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-03-18 02:02, 64TBOLT2 wrote:
adding a tube to this one would be easier

What year / vehicle is that for?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-03-29 12:06, gregaust wrote:
It's to suit an early valvebody type filter.
Thanks, I have a 68 casefill C4 and I am considering a deep pan (1" extra). Is that filter kit a special unit or a ford replacment part?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts