Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You should extend the filter pick-up so that it is within 1/4 to 1/2" of the bottom of the pan.
There is a Bronco that used a deep sump and filter extension kit from the factory. 1973-77 were the years that it was used. I don't know where you might find a pan but the filter kit is available through National Transmission Products Inc. as part # 26538E for the filter and ATK-33 for the kit. I don't know if this will work on a standard C4 using a C5 pan or not. I don't have a kit on hand. Sorry.
Paul

·
Registered
113 Posts
On 2006-08-06 01:11, PaulS1950 wrote:
There is a Bronco that used a deep sump and filter extension kit from the factory. 1973-77 were the years that it was used. I don't know where you might find a pan but the filter kit is available through National Transmission Products Inc. as part # 26538E for the filter and ATK-33 for the kit.
Does the kit come with a pick-up tube? (I couln't find a kit with a tube but never looked into that kit)

My first Bronco C4 tranny I rebuilt didn't have the pick-up tube. Ran fine I was "told" It took a while to find a tube, but after seeing it it'd be easy to copy.
3rd Bronco Tranny I opened was and Art Carr with the stock EB pan, pump in the middle. They were using a Mustang II flter. (tranny had only 800 miles on it, so it was the filter Art Carr used.)

I'd look into the Mustang II filter if you can't find much else.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The filter is drawn down into a kind of "funnel" that is deeper than the "scoop" on the standard filter and the opening is about 2" x 3/4". The design makes it about an inch deeper than the standard filter. As I recall (like I've never been wrong) the filter itself is the extension - there is no tube. The kit includes the deep sump filter and the two gaskets - pan and filter. Does that help clarify what it is? If the C5 pan is more than 1 inch deeper it may not work as well as it should but you would end up with a deeper pan, more volume of oil and a lowered pickup. You could also solder a flare to the deep sump filter to extend it farther. It wouldn't take a lot of work and standard solder with a mating flange of 1/2 inch would hold up under any conditions. It could be made out of very light weight steel say 26 gauge (about .015")
Paul

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
C5 pan.Its deeper cause the VB is thicker

C5 VB on the right

C5 filter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 8/7/06 7:43pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The filter that you have labeled, MII, is the one that I remember seeing.
To me, an early Bronco would be 64 - 66. Is 1973-77 an early bronco to you? In my parts list it is called out for 1973-77 Bronco with deep pan.
C4 - not C5. I guess I will have to get a kit in to see what is in it. I can always use it in the tranny that I am building for my 73 Maverick with a deep pan. I'll take some pics when it comes in.
Paul

·
Registered
113 Posts
On 2006-08-07 15:11, PaulS1950 wrote:
The filter that you have labeled, MII, is the one that I remember seeing.
To me, an early Bronco would be 64 - 66. Is 1973-77 an early bronco to you? In my parts list it is called out for 1973-77 Bronco with deep pan.
C4 - not C5. I guess I will have to get a kit in to see what is in it. I can always use it in the tranny that I am building for my 73 Maverick with a deep pan. I'll take some pics when it comes in.
Paul
64? Might want to check your source they didn't make the Bronco back them.

The Early in EB means the smaller one built from 66-77, full size was 78. SO yes, 73-77 is an EB and they only years the EB came with a Auto
-> good EB info http://classicbroncos.com/forums/index.php?

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
I got a different c5 pan amongst my bits,no lump in it.Looks like stock pan flat bottom but 2.5" deep.
On my BB c4 I used the filter with the rubber grommet and made my own tube to go to bottom of alloy pan with a support bracket to one of the VB bolts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 8/8/06 1:21pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
64 TBOLT,
I got my "early Bronco filter" today. (blush)
It is the one that you have marked as MII.
You are quite right it is the 26538D filter for Pinto, Mustang and Capri 1974-81
I need to build a new C4 for my Maverick with a deep pan.
Thanks for making me remember that little tidbit!
Paul
ps: does the early Bronco filter have a plastic funnel extending from the steel strainer cover? I saw one like that today while I was poking around - didn't pick it up but it looked like it could have been a little deeper.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaulS1950 on 8/9/06 7:05pm ]</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts