Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry to once again bother all you mechanic-savvy folk with my novice inquiries, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of this thing, which I'm sure will have a simple solution.
Now, does "rolling idle" mean a rough kinda idling (inconsistent rpms), or does it mean that when I put it in drive (auto trans), it rolls forward at a walking pace, without even touching the gas pedal? 'Caus if it's the second definition, that's what I got. If it's the first, then I have a question;
how fast should I be rolling while idling? Because I can drive my Gal around the block without ever even touching the gas pedal. She goes slow mind you, about a slow walking pace (a mosey), but she still goes. Is this normal? Could this be contributing to the eventual surging and stalling (or as I like to call it, the engine hiccup)?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I am by no means an engine expert, or even engine guy, but like any automatic in "D" they roll without putting your foot on the gas, now - if you are rolling up hills you might have a problem

·
Registered
449 Posts
From what I remember, and from a quick confirmation by Google, rolling idle is a specific description of an idle in that the idle of the engine in park will roll through different rpm's. It's different from a rough idle in that a rough idle sounds like it wants to quit. Rolling idle sounds like it can't make up its mind which rpm to idle at.

And lgh is right, all automatics "creep" when you simply let your foot off of the brake in drive. Four wheelers like me love that!

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
On 2006-12-14 02:45, dbu8554 wrote:
my car does not creep if you take your foot off the brake it will get to about 20 MPH
Try doing it on flat ground!

Seriously now, if you jack an auto car up, and run it in neutral, I've seen the wheels turn too. I think it's because of the drag through the torque convertor, although it isn't fast,and you can stop it with your hands.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Rolling idle or rolling car, the tech manual I have says my 62 with the 352 should idle at about 500 rmp in neutral or park and drop down to about 450 in drive. That seems awfully low and has to contribute to my generator having a hard time charging the battery at idle. You can almost count the fan each time it comes around. At it's best mine idles pretty steady and still does creep forward.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I shoot for around 800 rpm's at idle on my 302 when tuning. Mine always wants to creep up to around 1000 after the motors been on a while. In "D" mine goes about 20 mph just by letting off the brake at a stop light. I could go around the block and never have to hit the gas.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: norcal500 on 12/15/06 3:45am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts