Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting a set of headers soon for my "project sleeper". I'm debating whether to get them already ceramic coated from hooker or regular finish and have them coated later.

The headers I'll be getting will not be made specifically for the vehicle they're going in, so there is the possibility that some "massaging" may be necessary to make them fit. So do you guys think it's ok to "massage" a header that's already coated or wait till I get the header all set up to be installed before ceramic coating it? I don't want to mess up the coating too much if any minor denting will have to be done on the tubes to make them work. What do you guys think? TIA.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had the same concern. I bought Heddman non coated headers put them on the car, one tube touched the bell housing so I massaged it. I then sent them to HPC for inside and outside coating. They are still at HPC so I don't know the results yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ceramic will not "massage" very well....Try to massage a ceramic tile and see what happens:lol: Best do it after....Russ

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had a set of headers coated by Jet Hot and when I got them back I realized they needed "massaged" a little. I didnt install them first to check the fit before sending them.anyway the massaging marrs the finish some but it didnt chip or flake at all.Very durable coating.
Another thing is the headers that u buy already coated are only coated on the outside.I would buy a set of uncoated headers and send them to be coated.Then they would be coated on the inside and out.Another thing ,the ceramic coating on headers is Not the same as a ceramic tile!
Bob

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Interesting hooker clams they are coated inside and out:-?:-?

·
Registered
521 Posts
You may be right .Its possible that the newer sets are coated on the inside also.
The reason I said they where not was I was looking at a set for a sbc a couple of years ago and they where only coated on the outside.

Bob

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got ceramic coated headers on my car and for my .02 worth, I'd recommend that you be sure and get your headers "fitted" to the car before getting them coated. Think about it...you're spending a fair chunk of $$ to get them coated, you might as well try to get the best appearance and longevity out of them by not beating them up after they've been coated. It doesn't make any sense. The truth is, the coating will probably get minor scratches in it during installation anyway (hard to watch everywhere at once), so you might as well do your best to keep them looking good while you've got the chance! Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts