Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if one of you with a desk top dyno would be kind enough to run this engine combo......347ci,, Ford Motor Sport intake,,600 Ebrock carb,,,,60cc 289 heads ported 1.84//1.54 valves,,,10.25:1 C.R.,,cam spec..109L.C. .512lift [email protected],,,you pick the headers...hope that is all the info needed.......Russ...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I had to guess on your flow #s but they should be close. On DesktopDyno I got:

297hp @ 5000rpm

351ft/lb @ 3500rpm

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!! That seems low hp. for a 347....Guess the small carb and maybe the heads are killing it.....That's some stump pullen torque though......I have no flow #'s....I would think they are similar to ported heads in the archives.....Russ..

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Knowing the exact camshaft (so we can find the valve timing) would help a lot too. Most likely the carburetor isnt' the problem (it doesn't have a big effect on Desktop Dyno unless you are WAY undersized) so probably the camshaft specs are a little bit off, and also the small heads and valves are probably what's holding it back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me again.....Cam is a Engle EP 22h .512 lift 274 running duration....Gross cam lift 320....cam card says: Intake opens 10,,,exhaust closes 2,,,,,exhaust opens 48,,,intake closes 40.....I just ordered a eagle stroker kit with KB flat top pistons (-6.5cc)....I have the cam,intake,carb,,and heads..Trying to stay on a tight budget. I may send the heads in for valve shroud work.....Any other ideas from the peanut gallery would be appreciated.....Russ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am gettin even less than that on dyno2k. I am getting between [email protected] and [email protected] with 1.94/1.6 valves and dual plane intake with small tube headers with mufflers. Torque is really good with 367-371 at 2000rpm. The big thing that is holding you back is the heads. The 34hp jump is just from going from stock heads to pocket porting. So it all depends on the port job. To see why I used stock heads see my reply to the below post on actual vs. sims.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=342&forum=1&18

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jdsgallops on 3/1/02 9:05am ]</font>

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that is all the power a 347 would make i would be better off sticken with my 302

Just the extra cubic in. of the 347 has got to make more power than my 302 with the same parts and lower C.R... Guess torque is what I gain lots of,and that's what I want in a boat...The problem with desk top dyno's are,,,they are only as good as the info you feed them....I'll try to get some flow numbers from the shop that did my heads....Russ...Found some flow numbers 193intake 145exhaust taken at 28" of vacuum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ on 3/1/02 10:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mach1Morgan.....You always have some good info.....No comment???? Russ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
With those flow numbers I would look towards the lower end of what I posted. On Dyno2k a low performance pocket ported head will flow [email protected]" with a 2.02 valve. 193cfm will be closer to the stock low performance head numbers with a 1.94 valve.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those numbers seem very low.. When you take a factory HI-PO 289 makes 271hp....Something does not sound kosher to me....350 to 380hp and 380#of torque,,,, is just my gut feeling....Russ....

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
jdsgallops: I think the valve timing he gave was at .050" lift, did you enter it in Dyno2K right? Here's what I get:

http://www.cableone.net/motrhed/347dyno.jpg

about 360hp @ 5500 and 370lb/ft @ 4500. Does that seem right? I'm not sure I got the bore and stroke right, but the displacement is right, and usually if the bore and stroke are close it won't have any effect.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My combo made 280 HP at the tires on a chassis dyno,320 at the flywheel, maybe this will help from a comparison basis. Yes it is a 5.0 (302)

Stock 89 GT long block (heads untouched from stock) Crane 1.7 rockers
Performer RPM
650 speed demon. 73`s frnt 86`s bk
B-303 [email protected] .480 lift ( with 1.7 rocker .510 )
JBA shorty`s
2.5" exhaust thru 3 chamber flows
5 speed
4:11`s
Maybe you could tell me what desk top says about my combo and I could compare it to what the chassis dyno says.
Thanks and hope this info can help some.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Motorhead....Now were cooken with gas.........Those #'s look better! Bore:4.030
stroke 3.400.....Just tell me what i want to hear and i'll be happy
Russ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yep Motorhead I entered at seat lift. I tried it at .050 frst and it didn't look right so I went to seat to seat. Must have been user error. I still think 360 is high. Use your pull down on the top bar. Next to the cam calculator is the intake flow for the head you are using. For the low performance pocket porting it will say a peak of [email protected]". That is too much flow so using the stock low performance and setting them up with a 1.94/1.6 combo I get a peak of [email protected] 5000 with 363lb-ft of [email protected] this seems more realistic. Once again it still shows the heads are the power limiter. Going to a 750 carb and large tube header with mufflers only gains 10 peak hp. Should be fun enough until the budget allows for better heads.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How 'bout if we retard the cam timing 2 deg.
Just for the hell of it.....The flow #'s i found in a book...I realy don't know how well my heads flow....Russ....Thanks all for help!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I ran the 347 combo through my Engine Analyzer program using the 193/145 head flow numbers. With open headers the program predicted 368 HP at 5250 RPM and 406 ft/lbs at 4250 RPM. I also assumed that the Ford Motorsport intake was the RPM Performer copy, and that 30" long by 1 5/8 headers were used. Those numbers are about what I would expect to see on a dyno from an engine like that. Just out of curiosity I exchanged your cam with the Extreme Energy XE284H hydraulic cam. It was worse below 2750 and better every where above 3000 RPM. With that cam it made 414 ft/lbs at the same 4250 and 385 HP at the same 5250 RPM. To make more power than that though would require a more aggresive solid lifter cam or better heads. It would be difficult to get the power peak much higher than 5500 RPM with the heads you have.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Mach1.....I don't plan to turn this thing over 5500....5000 more like it....The exhaust is stock merc....some day i'll get threw hull headers....Just to much dam money for marine headers
....what about the cam retard thing????help any?? Russ...P.S. your right on the intake...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ on 3/1/02 12:18pm ]</font>

·
Registered
231 Posts
Your stock exhaust could be costing you up to 50HP as compared to open headers, but I'm not too familiar with how good the stock Merc exhaust will flow. I tried advancing and retarding your cam. Retarding the cam 4 degrees picked up 7HP at the peak but everywhere below 4500 RPM the torque was down. I don't know if the trade off would be worth it, I guess it just depends on what RPM you usually are running your engine at.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The stock exhaust would have similar flow as a 289 hi-po cast iron header,,about 3 inch pipe with 4 90deg. radius bends and out the back above the water line....Normal cruz is 3500, but when it's balls to the wall it's 5000 or what ever i can get....My 302 cranks out to 4600...4800 on a good day....sounds like the 347 will help pick up my top speed....Russ..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Russ I found the problem with my entry. The way you listed the cam numbers was kinda weird so I wrote them wrong. Entering them correctly @.050 and using the most restrictive exhaust I get [email protected] and [email protected] Torque is [email protected] This is with the most restricitve head. If you have a lot of port work done then going to the better head nets, [email protected] and [email protected] Out of curiousity I went back to a 3" stroke. Peak power is only down to [email protected] and [email protected] The stroker crank is netting you about 30-50lb-ft of torque across the board. Sounds like your vehicle is heavy so this would be a worth while addition even though the peak power isn't that much different.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jdsgallops on 3/2/02 3:37am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jdsgallops on 3/2/02 3:38am ]</font>

1 - 20 of 41 Posts