Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone could run my mild combo through a dyno program.

289, Performer RPM intake, 600 CFM Perf carb, Performer camshaft (not RPM), stock heads, hooker comp long tube headers into 2.5" dual exhaust. I'm trying to figure out if I should spend a lot of money on a bigger motor and building it up, or how much potential I have in building a nice 289. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, forgot to say, I already downloaded that program, and it says I have something like 295 hp, and about 290 tq. I don't remember exactly, but I know it's in the 290s. Is it me, or does that seem a bit high? I hope it's accurate, but that doesn't seem too realistic.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
From what I've read and been told, a mild 289 is like a 351W with headers and a good 4 barrel in it. I'd go 351W, alot more room to grow. When is anybody happy with the performance (or lack there of) of their motor, go windsor.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I just did a old version of desktop dyno run on my puter and came up with 306hp and 296 lbs torque at 5500. My motor wont spin that high, at least not with the wife in it.
Thats with stock heads, small tube headers, dual plane intake, Erson 280* cam with .506 valve lift, and a 625 Carter. That seems high to me, but it pulls like snot with the 2200 stall convert. and 3.55 gears, and have no problem lighting them up, and racing 5.0

·
Registered
74 Posts
To make power,you need to invest in a GOOD set of cylinder heads!!Running what you have won't make as much power as putting on a set of good cylinder heads!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I realize this is a very old thread but I cannot seem to find the download of the engine analyzer program or the desktop dyno program. I went to the Mustang Shop's web site and they don't even have a download section. I'f you guys could help me out I'd sure appreciate it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ran the numbers though my Desktop Dyno 2000 and cam up with 232hp/306ftlbs. That was using 9:1 compression, D5TE heads, and the Melling version of that cam. I ran a similar set up in my 302 that came out of my early Bronco. Except I used a cast iron 289 manifold. The engine was really torquey and ran out of steam before 5k. It was a good combo for rock crawling, but not enough power or rpm's for any kind of mud or loose terrain. I ran a NP435 with a 6.69 granny, 2.46 low range transfer case, and 4.56 gears. I could idle over any obstacle and could barely choke the engine with 4 wheel disk brakes. By the way it has a stock idle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts