Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone updated their stock 8 inch rear to a (posi) locker rear? I have the rear from my v6...but most of everyone said it will hold up for my new v8...but I wanna spin both tires not just one lol....any ideas? Cost is a factor as I am also tryin to save for a paint job lol Thanks alll!!

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Found one of those locker type inserts at summit. Was DTL-813A027 and was priced at 219, looked like I would need all new bearings and someone to set it up for me. Guess were in the same boat, I'm waiting for that big Christmas bonus after the 600 bucks for the Hooker headers. They fit like a glove, had to move the tranny lines though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got headmans cause the Phil from Mustang Speciality Shop said they fit--so long story short I made them fit and after getting brand new coolant lines I found they wouldn't fit and had to reuse the old ones and run them under the x member.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know it's been a while since you asked the question, but I put a richmond lock-rite in our 8" with some 4.11's (got it right from the tech article here). It works great, we dipped into the 12's two weeks ago, makes noise when you turn tight, but both tires lock when you need it. We have the headman headers, they work fine, but we had to make room for the plugs and needed some ceramic spark plug boots on the driver side.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's hard to say what locker is the best... each is different. I'm running a powertrax NoSlip locker, if you modify your driving habits you don't even notice it.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
I used a Auburn limited slip in an 8" with 4.11 and a beefed up 302/AOd. All went in a 72 Maverick and been running strong for 5 years now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went a different route. I swapped in a 9" from a '67-'77 Bronco. Had to move the spring perches, but the unit is only slightly wider than the MII so wheel offset compensates very easily if needed.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I really like the detroit locker. I got a used one for $100 for a 9" with 28 spline. Ive had it for 14+ years now and not a glitch... its hairy to use if you commute on the freeways and its raining though...

My 67 fastback came with an 8" rear... I decided that if I was going to do anything to it, I might as well get a 9".... then later I got a 9" for my 1991 mustang, now I can easily swap my third members between the two 1)3.89:1 detroit locker 2)3.00:1 open... seems a good balance between the two...

(now im thinking I should ALSO go 9" on my 1993 mustang and get a 3.5x Auburn! yeee-haa!)

Im just saying think about the future and interchangablilty with anything you spend a good chunk of $$$$$$ on!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts