Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a Locker tomorrow and was wondering if there is any thing in particular to look out for. There is no clutches in these is there? I was told they have gears. Is there anything that wears out in the units? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A Detroit Locker has no clutches or anything that'll wear out, your assumptions are correct. They make the srongest locker out there. You'll pay for it up front, but they are worth it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm sure you know this but they come in either 28 or 31 splines for the axles in the ford 8 and 9 inches.

Lockers take abuse very well, the way they get ruined is when an axle shears off just as it exits the housing and the retained splined end of the axle bends out the locker. It's a fatal blow. If you can, go for the larger 31 spline if you can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I did buy the unit and everything is perfect inside. There is no bearings on the ends and noticed the journals are smaller than a tractionloc or open carrier. Would anyone have the bearing numbers for these? The journal size is 1.625". Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts