Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I need your expertise. Here's what happened: I get a 351w built. For some reason, the shop that built it put in a 289 cam. A couple of months later I took it to another shop to have the motor installed. They could never figure out was the heck was wrong, and I later told them it had a 289 cam. They had used the 351 firing order but of course, once they used the 289 firing order the car ran fine. Okay, now for the question: They ran the car for several hours with the wrong firing order. Of course, this was during "break in". Did this damage the motor any?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67stang351 on 4/7/02 6:17am ]</font>

·
Registered
209 Posts
If the engine is running OK now, has good oil pressure, good compression, normal readings on all 8 plugs, and no abnormal noises; I wouldn't worry over "spilled milk". Chances are that it will be fine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It shouldn't, the cam lobes get oiled from the rods. If they ran it at 2000 rpm for 30 min to break-in the cam it is probably okay. If bet it ran poorly though.

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
There is no way using the wrong firing order did any damage to the camshaft. As long as the engine fired up and ran at around 2-3k rpm for 15-20 minutes during break-in, it will be fine. The reason cams need broken in like this, is because the lobes are lubricated by the oil that gets slung off the crank. There's not enough oil at idle passing through the system for proper break-in (especially with strong springs).

It doesn't matter if the engine was running on two cylinders... as long as it was up to speed, you're fine. Even if you had to crank it for a bit before it fired, as long as the cam/lifters were greased up well, they should be fine.

289/302 cams work just fine in 351W's... as long as you change the firing order. They don't run any better... or worse.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read what your issue was I have a 351w I cannot for the life of me get the firing order right on the book says (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-
and I tried that and it didn't work the closest I got was (1-3-7-8-6-5-2-4)going counter clockwise from 1. But its not right either I tried a 302 firing order too aslwell and It didn't work either???? Any help would br greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What about the timing chain?

Did you properly line the crank and cam sprokets off?

Possibly a few cogs off causing really funky cam/spark plug firing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didnt mess with timing at all. As a matter of fact on the side of my distributor it says that I cannot time it manually ??? I know I never heard of that either but when I loosen the blot I cannot turn the ditributor at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts