Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to get a new set of tires for Baby Huey (the wife's name for the car) and noticed I had a 14 inch spare while all the other wheels were 15 inch!! 15 inch wheels stamped with 5MB under the ford Logo while the spare is stamped 5MF and is 14 inch. Normal or not??

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Went to get a new set of tires for Baby Huey (the wife's name for the car) and noticed I had a 14 inch spare while all the other wheels were 15 inch!! 15 inch wheels stamped with 5MB under the ford Logo while the spare is stamped 5MF and is 14 inch. Normal or not??
Kultz can decifer the codes as I have no clue, but I would say that 1 the tires/wheels on the ground are replacements as the previous owner wanted 15's, 2, there was no spare at all and someone just found what they could to use as a spare.

But to answer your question, no the factory wouldnt ever mix the sizes in that manner. All 5 tires would have been the same size.

MRO.....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
No mention in the MPC of a 14" wheel being offered as SPARE ONLY.

If put on the rear axle, it would create chaos anyways.

The 5MB and 5MF are Engineering Codes to help ID the wheels beyond service replacement parts. Sometimes these codes are included in the MPC Text to positively ID a wheel, but not in this case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts