Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to go to Autozone because of their lifetime guarantee ang get a 1 wire HIGH amp alt if ford makes one-. Which cars came with them and how high an amp can i get ? also, can i simply put a v-belt pully on it ? This is to finish the 351c ive been working on. Does a high amp put out more power at lower rpm ? cause im going to underdrive it . or is my thinking all screwed up again-

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'd use a 3G alt if it were me. It is simple to hook up (2 wires and a battery cable), and puts out 130 amps max.
You can get 200 amp 3Gs from Powermaster, but the best bet is a 3G Duralast Gold from AutoZone ('95 Cobra) and have a lifetime warranty.
Mine puts out 110 amps, and i have a slightly larger V-belt pulley on it.
I don't thing Ford ever made 1-wire alts., but I could be wrong, it's happened before.
That's my opinion, Chris.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Any suggestions on which alternator to use with the 3 wire setup?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I've decided to go with a 3g 130 amp unit. Seems to be the best choice for the money.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Montegoman, If i go get the autozone alt.- '95 cobra- how do I figure the wiring ? its going into a '69 f-100 / 351c. and how much did it cost ?

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
IIRC the 1-wire alt is GM. It requires modification to the bracket or alt case for installation in a Ford. The 3G or 6G alts are best options. Use a 4-ga or 2-ga wire to the battery. DO NOT USE WIMPY WIRE OR CHEAP CONNECTORS.

Agree on the Autozone choice. Or you could spend $305 on the Mr. Amp 3G Alternator. Do the math.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If you want a 1 wire alternator then just order one from Powermaster or Pa Performance. I have a powermaster (1 wire) and all I needed to do was run a 4 gauge power wire from the alternator to the battery and I was done and I was able to junk my old external voltage regulator. No bracket mods or any bullshit like that.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts

·
Subscriber
82 Posts
i have been debating this my self! has anyone seen a tech article to put it in a late 60s car the wiring has me baffeld. im going to be puting it on a 67 what do i do with the wires to the old external regulator? dont i need some of those? and how does the alternator hook up where do these supose'd 3 wires go? if any one knows of a full tech article id like the link cause i will get going on putting one in my car!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See the powermaster website and the Ford Muscle tech page..... Where abouts in norcal are ya ?

·
Subscriber
82 Posts
im in vallejo i will take a look again but i was more less thinking of using a stock 3g rather than a a modified expensive power master unit

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice cougars, my buddy is fixin up his '69. He managed to get 295/50/15's on the rear.......... looks fuller than me at a bbq-

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The only vehicle I know of that Ford used a true 1-wire alternator was on their farm tractors. I have the $90 Summit 1-wire, works well for me.

·
Subscriber
82 Posts
On 2006-12-24 17:15, gchero351 wrote:
Nice cougars, my buddy is fixin up his '69. He managed to get 295/50/15's on the rear.......... looks fuller than me at a bbq-
actually its the same car its currently the two tone scheme u saw yeah i have rolled rear fender lips and i will be able to run a 275/40/17 in the back as soon as i get my new back rims!

·
Subscriber
82 Posts
another alternator i have used before is the chevy alternators that have the two wire lplug and all i had to do is drill out the pivot hole and they have worked great most parts stores go by 7127 for the 65 amp and 7294 for the 95 amp easy to hook up buy the plug and run the red wire to the back post and the white to the gauge im just tired of drilling the holes out and would like a 130amp if possible plus the 3g is a better looking piece

1 - 20 of 21 Posts