Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago when we were having plug blowing issues i saw the service bulletin on the fuel tanks strap corrosion issue, now it is a recall. The straps corrode and break in locations with high corrosive environments, say like Ohio etc where salt and "liquid death" is used a lot.

You can go to the below link and put in your vin to see if your vehicle is eligible.

Recall Notices| Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owners | FLMowner.com

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/08/01/ford-recalls-1-1-million-pickups-over-fuel-tank-strap-issue/

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
yeah I got my notice a couple weeks ago. Still haven't had it repaired yet though. I usually wait a little while so that the initial "rush" subsides and parts are readily available. Still have to do the cruise control recall too...and figured while it was in the shop for that stuff, I could have them replace the windshield and the tires on my dime. Kind of one of those kill many birds with one rock type deal.

....and I will NOT use the local dealer. Will drive about 100 miles and use that dealer before the local guy gets a penny from me. And if the gas tank falls out and has to be towed, I'll pay a wrecker to haul it to the other dealer.

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had the cruise control thing done long ago but can't remember now if it was the permanent fix or not. I remember some they just disabled and for a bit they had some kind of fix that was more of a temporary thing. Guess we can ask when we get around to taking the truck in for this one. You have a high opinion of the local dealer i see.

A couple years ago i went in there to ask about prices to figure out why the truck was sounding like a tractor and blowing smoke at a certain speed when getting on the freeway etc. He tried to tell me maybe it had been over heated, maybe the head gasket was on backwards and something else. I had an answer to all his ridiculous ideas and the price to just tear it down and find the issue was $675. No putting it on analyzers or nothing just tear into it. Told him maybe one day and for now it can keep smoking and choking. The issue ended up being a fouled plug. Every couple months we'd have to clean the one spark plug which was the same cylinder that a chunk of the head was missing over it when we changed heads. It hasn't done it now in a long time, knock on wood, but had nothing to do with all his bright ideas. I can't tell ya why it stopped either just that it did after about a year of cleaning that one plug every couple months or so cause it was covered in oil. Drives me nuts when these guys at places like that come up with that stuff. I told him if the head gasket was on wrong we would definitely have an over heating issue then. They see women and think we are all retarded or something sometimes and i hate someone trying to take advantage of anyone if they think they can get away with it because they are female or any other reason. So i fully understand the going somewhere else plan! Sorry bout the rant!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
The recall affects all F150 full-size pickups between 1997 and 2004, F250s of less than 8,500 lbs between 1997 and 1999, and Lincoln Blackwood trucks from 2002 and 2003.
funny, they specifically mention the lincoln blackwood too...what like all 20 of them :)

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was a bad time period as that's the same years that were blowing spark plugs and had the cruise control issue. The cheaper 2 out of 3 were recalled lol What surprises me is, far as i've heard, no fuel rail leaks or fires from the coil pack smacking the rail. Maybe it's a percentage of odds or something.

I totally forgot about the Blackwoods!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
got mine in september.called to set up appointment an got the run around the told me there was 5 make for the 2001 an i would have to bring it in let them look at it, an then order the the i need an then they would call me to come back for install of new one that;s two trips of about 100 miles each. so i'm waiting till spring.if it doesn't fall off first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts