Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about home porting some heads and looking into electric die grinders. I've heard Makita is the gold standard but there are many other ones for $20 or less with similar performance statistics (25,000 no load rpm, 1/4 inch drive, etc). Will these work just as well? I only plan on using it for maybe 3 sets of heads.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
22 Posts
I liked using my air die grinder when I did my heads. I could control the speed and when I was doing the small stuff around the valve stem, it was really nice to be able to go slow. I don't know about the electric ones, like I said, I used air.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Cheap 1/4" die grinders can be purchased off Ebay for less than $20. These are a bluish/green color and come with a few stones. I've purchased a couple of these and have had good luck with them. Their collets were a bit tight with some burrs, but I reamed them out a little with a drill, and they were fine.

Carbide burrs and cartidge rolls (sanding rolls) don't like to be spun over 10-12k rpm. They don't last long at 25k! The grinder speed will need to be controlled. To do this, just buy a 300W dimmer switch at Wal-Mart, or any hardware store (they're cheap). This will give you a good variable speed grinder cheap.

Now you have a grinder, you'll need cutting tools. Carbide burrs are available at a number of places. Swap meets are a good place. Summit offers good deals as well. The extra long ones are good for reaching far into the port. I like to do the lions share of the guide boss from the port entry side of the port... not the valve seat. They also make it easy to work the port sides and to widen the port floor before the short side radius.

Cartridge rolls (sanding rolls) are also extremely effective. The 1/2" diameter coarse units are extremely effective, and remove material surprisingly fast. They work way better than stones (very slow). Combine these with extra long mandrels, made by Standard Abrasives, and available through Summit, and you're ready to rumble. Standard Abrasives part numbers are available at the link below. Get the part number from the SA site, then call Summit with the order.

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/products.shtm

A good porting tutorial with plenty of pictures is available below.

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.htm

Good Luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. But I was Hoping to get away without having to get a compresser (although it would be nice ). I just wondered if anyone had experiences with the electric ones on ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts