Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i found an ad on a 4barrel 460 engine for about $500 , and wonderd if it would be any ide'a to put it in my 71 Mach1 , my current engine is a 72 351C 4V

should i conider this or is it a waste of money ?

where can i find more info on the 460 ?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
sounds like a great idea. Ask some of the guys here on the boards for info on the 460's. Greg Cook and Chilly460 really know their stuff when it comes to big blocks. Also, I think there's another forum dedicated to big blocks.

try this:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did this on my 351C 73 Mach1with minimal trouble. I used a 74 460 with C6 from a Torino. The Torino C6 was the short-tailshaft one so I didnt even need to cut my driveshaft. Motor mounts on a big block utilize a plate and an insulator. I used the plates from the Torino and I believe got the insulators from one of the Mustang vendors for a 70 429 application. In stock form, these are torque monsters but you are not really going to really start running hard at the drags until you work over the motor a bit. It doesnt take much with that much displacement to get a good runner. I have a mild buildup on my 74 460 and went from running about 15 flat with the 351C to mid 12's on slicks.
Be glad to help if I can,
Rick

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, okej ..

well the other problem that i have is that i'm running a smal RUG-AV1 manual gearbox, and wouldent want to loose that .. but i cant use it on a bigblock ..

and then i have a 8" rearend with 3.0 gears, donno if that will hold ..

Maybe i can buy the engine and restore it during this summer and next winter and install it next summer ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, much of this depends on your intended use for the car. If you just want a fun street machine, then the 8 inch rear will be fine with regular street tires. If you want to use slicks, may want to look into a 9 inch. Is that a 4 speed toploader gearbox? If so, it is a strong beast but will require a bellhousing for the 460 pattern. If it is a 3 speed, well they are reasonably strong (just not as good gear spread as the 4 speed).
Rick

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was thinking about this, and I believe your car should have originally been equipped with a 9" rear if it was a 351 car.
The 302 cars came with the 8.
Rick

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm, will the flywheel from my 351C work on a 460 ?

well the car is a 71 Mach1 that originaly had a 302 in it ..
It has the small 4speed Toploader (RUG-AV1) gearbox in it (Wide Range)
And the rear is a 8" with 3.00 gears.

So to do this swap, i would need to get a new bellhousing that fit the 460, new motor mounts, new headers and some other small things ?
Have i missed any big things ?

The car is intended for street use only, and with regular street tires ..

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know that the 8" is considerably strong. But to be on the safe side, I suggest you swap to a 9". The 460 is a torque monster, even in stock form. You'll never know when your foot will turn heavy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bluetech on 4/13/02 4:07pm ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I haven't been able to get a straight answer on this yet myself, but I do know that your smallblock tranny has a longer input shaft than the bigblock tranny.I have heard you must change the input shaft or shorten it to use with the bigblock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts