Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Boss engines are very strong ,have many HP and make rpm about 8.000 .( Boss 302 )

My question is if there are any differences btw the short blocks to the Windsor ones.

Is a 289 , 302 or 351 early Windsor block able to make the same power ? ( with other crank and rods )

I heard the Boss engines (esp. Boss 302) is able to spin 7.500 rpm´s for hours without braking any thing . Is that real ?
Thanks for every input

Robbi

·
Registered
57 Posts
i think that the boss 302 blocks were 4 bolt mains. I don't think 4 bolts were offered on anything other than the 302 boss block, or a motorsport block. Can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Here is a 1970 Boss 302 4-Bolt block.

It also has a factory steel crankshaft,and can withstand a great deal of abuse.

You could make a 289-302 or 351 winsor hold up just about as good as a 4-bolt Boss 302 block just by adding a main stud girdle.

But,as far as factory engines are conserned the Boss 302 would be one of the most durable engines ever made.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is very interisting .
You could be lucky to have an Boss block Dyno Tom.
How you would build an ealy block to spin over 7000 rpm´s for street-racing.
(That engine has to be build run 80 to 110 miles with over 6700 rpm´s in the last gear.)
HIGH-SPEED !!!
The car has about 3300 pound.
What is your opinion?
Do you have a part-list ?
thanks
Robbi

·
Registered
629 Posts
According to the book "Ford Performance" from S-A design, the Boss 302 block has hefty 4-bolt mains on number 2,3&4 main journals, was cast of a higher nodular iron with thicker cylinder wall than the standard 289 and 302. It also has screw-in freeze plugs to help strengthen the block. The Crankshafts to were steel with the 1969 units being cross-drilled, while the 1970 units were not cross-drilled. Hope this helps a little.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MHumpy on 1/23/02 4:02am ]</font>

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I would build a 289 with:
forged steel crank,
arp main stud grindle,
good rods and KB- hypereutectic pistons,
plasma...piston rings
and complete balanced rotating assembly.

Will this setup work as well the Boss ?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the response,
I was looking everywhere but I cant find a shop who sells balanced rotating assemblys for a 289 early block (year 66).
I dont know if I could get it anywhere.

·
Registered
629 Posts
On 2002-01-22 17:32, Robbi wrote:
If I would build a 289 with:
forged steel crank,
arp main stud grindle,
good rods and KB- hypereutectic pistons,
plasma...piston rings
and complete balanced rotating assembly.

Will this setup work as well the Boss ?
You would have a strong bottom end, but as for perorming like a Boss 302, well I think that depends on your cam choice and heads. Remember that Boss 302 heads are almost identical to a 4V 351 Clevelands ( water passages are different, and the '69 version had 2.23 intake valves as opposed to '70 version using 2.19.), and the rocker arm ratio was 1.73 as compared to 1.6 for stock 289 & 302's. I've personally not seen any flow reports on any aftermarket haeds for the 289/302 that would be identical if not at least close to the Boss heads, but it might be worth checking into, but with a good set of aftermarket heads, you should get a good strong engine, with a good cam choice of course.

Another thing, if you can't find a good rotating assembly for a 289, go with a 302 assembly, or better yet, why not a stroker kit. If you could get a set of Boss 302 heads and intake (like at Carlisle or somewhere else) with a 347 stroker bottom end, should be quite an impressive package.
Also, search the web, i've seen sites that show you how to modify 2V Cleveland haeds to work on a 302 shortblock, got to buy a special intake for the 2V heads, but if you used 4V heads, a stock Boss intake should work. Good luck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MHumpy on 1/24/02 4:46am ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts