Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Dunno nuttin about the T10's but the FE's used a big input shaft instead of the small one. (1 1/8th vs 1 3/8ths) there are a few other differences but thats the main one. Others I am sure will chime in.. (hopefully lol ) :)

MRO.....

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
The toploader input shaft pretty much tells all:

Check out the diameter of these 2 shafts:

Small block 1 1/16" diameter shaft shown on top (or it could be shortened for a 390) and FE 427, 428, 429 1 3/8" on the bottom. The one on the bottom has the longer pilot bearing snout because it is a strictly aftermarket creation which allows this tranny to be used behind a small block with the right clutch setup. It too could be shortened and used behind the larger BB's.

The 427, 428, and 429 big block trannys are all close ratios and will also have 31 spline output shafts, compared to the lesser tranny's choice of close or wide ratios with either 28 or even 25 spline shafts.

top: 260, 289, 302, 351

center: 390

bottom: 427, 428, 429

Never go by the ID tag and assume that you found a particular toploader as the guts (small block and big block) are pretty much all the same (except for close and wide ratio specific gears) and parts are often interchanged.

To further study the differences in the toploaders, I suggest visiting the following site. In particular I suggest starting with the info found in the ID chart section:

http://www.4speedtoploaders.com/

I cannot tell you anything about the T10's except that they are weaker and harder to get parts for compared to the toploader.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So if I have a sb top loader and want to fit with a 390 , I can cut the input shaft? And what about the shifter, can it be fit too or need a longer tail ? (1965 gal )

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
So if I have a sb top loader and want to fit with a 390 , I can cut the input shaft? And what about the shifter, can it be fit too or need a longer tail ? (1965 gal )
Yes you can cut the input shaft to the correct length and have no other issues. Be sure to round the end of it slightly for easier installation.

For the Galaxie a longer tail is what you will need. Although any length toploader can be adapted, it would be be easiest to find one that has the correct length tailshaft/tailhousing for your car. Swapping tailshafts require complete disassembly of the toploader.

Using a shorter than original tail will require a longer driveshaft and the shifter may not exit into the cabin where you want it. There are several variations of shifter locations found on the various toploader tailhousings and that can cause problems when installing a different length toploader in the car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When changing the tail , does it need others parts inside too ? Because I saw a tail for sale months ago on e bay but the guy sell just a tail alone !!! I imagine the shaft inside need to be longer or need to match the tail!!!
thank's for your help

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
When changing the tail , does it need others parts inside too ? Because I saw a tail for sale months ago on e bay but the guy sell just a tail alone !!! I imagine the shaft inside need to be longer or need to match the tail!!!
thank's for your help
Yes, you will also need the correct output shaft length to go with the tailhousing. For example, going from a Mustang 14" long tailhousing to a Galaxie 17" long tail requires the use of the 3" longer output shaft (of the same output spline count as the tailhousing was designed for.) All other parts will remain the same.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, you will also need the correct output shaft length to go with the tailhousing. For example, going from a Mustang 14" long tailhousing to a Galaxie 17" long tail requires the use of the 3" longer output shaft (of the same output spline count as the tailhousing was designed for.) All other parts will remain the same.
Thank's a lot for all these infos

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts