Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Galaxie Nation,

I am trying to list all of the differences between a Galaxie 500 and a 500XL, specifically as it pertains to the 1964 model year.

Differences I am aware of:

1) Bucket seats (as opposed to bench)
2) Back seat is bucket-ish, with that fancy radio speaker grille in the middle
3) Center console
4) Courtesy lights moved to the doors
5) XL designations on fender trim and below trunk lid
6) XL emblem on steering wheel hub
7) XL emblem on glove box door
8) XL designations on rear quarter panel trim
9) Upgraded door panels
10) Upgraded window crank handles
11) Upgraded floor pedals

Are there any other differences that I may be overlooking?

·
Registered
695 Posts
XL badging on the glove box door and the spear trim on the rear quarters are different also.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yes.

Door panels fr/rear (there was a 500XL 4 dr hardtop), and 2 dr hardtop and convt front door panels/rear side panels are completely different 500 vs 500XL.

When I converted my 500 to a 500XL, I installed the door panel lights, but I also installed a center under dash interior light. Made a nice bright nighttime interior lighting.

The door lights were easy to install. The tougher job was installing a 1973 Mustang door speaker kit. The exact spot where the speakers needed to go had door reinforcement metal. Had to do some drilling and cutting to make room for the speakers.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Other little odds and ends.

Interior door handles, rear window crank handles (definitely in the convert, but probably for the 4 dr hardtop also), steering column collar, and a linkage attachment bar on the automatic trans.

All these items only became critical when doing a clone.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other little odds and ends.

Interior door handles, rear window crank handles (definitely in the convert, but probably for the 4 dr hardtop also), steering column collar, and a linkage attachment bar on the automatic trans.

All these items only became critical when doing a clone.
Jerry,

Thanks. So the XL uses different window crank handles?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Jerry,

Thanks. So the XL uses different window crank handles?
Only in the rear. Fronts are fine.

On XLs, the rear side panels are contoured while the Gal 500 are fairly flat. Rear Gal 500 window handles will not work. They are designed for a flatter surface. The XL has a plastic piece that fits over the side panel, but, this extension makes the Gal 500 handles unusable.

The XL handles are extended to reach the window mechanism.

I can't say if the same is true for non-converts. Depends where the handle connects.

Again, this is only an issue if you are doing a clone job.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
XL badging on the glove box door and the spear trim on the rear quarters are different also.
If you're doing a clone, you need the side molding from the door to the rear quarter off an original XL to support the rear quarter 500XL spears.

Maybe there's a simple way to attach the XL spears to a 500 molding, but, since it's been about 25 years since I did my 500/500XL cloning job, I don't remember. Except for the trans linkage, I removed all XL trim/parts from my two donor cars.

I was lucky to find the trans linkage part from a dealer, but that was then. Today, I'd have to search junkyards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts