Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The taillights in my '64 Gal XL are ok but I am thinking of replacing them. Dennis Carpenter has them for $100 a pair, but was thinking of something a little different. I remember seeing picture of a '64 Gal in a thread a month or two ago that looked like 'flame throwers'. I spent a couple of hours yesterday searching but cannot find the thread and the car I saw earlier.
Anyone know which car I am talking about or where I can find different ones? Thanks

EDIT...instead of flame throwers I meant 'AFTERBURNERS', duh, my old timers disease is showing?!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
The taillights in my '64 Gal XL are ok but I am thinking of replacing them. Dennis Carpenter has them for $100 a pair, but was thinking of something a little different. I remember seeing picture of a '64 Gal in a thread a month or two ago that looked like 'flame throwers'. I spent a couple of hours yesterday searching but cannot find the thread and the car I saw earlier.
Anyone know which car I am talking about or where I can find different ones? Thanks

EDIT...instead of flame throwers I meant 'AFTERBURNERS', duh, my old timers disease is showing?!!
He made them hisself..I'm workin on some for our 63 galaxie 500 .. still tinkering with them..

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Yes... :) I would like to see how you guys made them..

Looks like LED lights in a recessed bucket..

They look awsome...:tup:

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Mine but didn't expect that everyone would want them.
They are brighter and different, of course others would want them! :) Myself only draw the line at ones that make it so i can't go back to original. Those are too cool!

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Check out these tail lights. Mustang Project - Catalog

these would look great inside the lights we have made.Not sure on the size of the light.......
If you look a few replies back that link was already posted. Bout the 3rd post.:) Some cool lights for sure.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have the Mustang Project lights in my 61 and I really like the way they look. My lights were the test set for them as they were only doing Mustangs prior to my set and we had to redo mine several times to make them work the best.
The problem that most people over look with sequential lights is that while they are going through their sequence the front blinker is just staying lit. So we had to decrease the sequence timing to make the front light appear to blink. Was alright at night but during the daylight hours you had to really look to see that it actually blinked at all.

Scott...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If anyone is interested on how I did my afterburner tail lights,I'd be glad to share info....
Please post the info here or even better, submit the details as a TECH ARTICLE and hopefully it will be published here.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I pm'd redlehr after I found out he was the one who posted it and he pm'd me back with the info, thanks again, red :). I guess I'm not the only one who likes 'em, haha. :tup:
Those sunburst lights are pretty sweet, too.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Originally Posted by redlehr

Here you go friends, this is the recipe I used to make afterburner tail lights,

I started with round duct work metal from Home depot or Lowe's. I made the initial tube 7 inches long.You have to take out the original light ,put the metal tube in, measure and pop rivet the duct work to the right size.I bought 10 mm. adhesive backed chrome stripping off of e bay(you need around 75 ft. of this stripping unless you find something else that will work...) cut them 6 " long and put them around the inside of the tin leaving an inch band open to the front of the light. Then I bought a round metal end cap (for duct work) and slid that on to the tube,attached it with 2 hose clamps.I bought 7 inch LED lights from (Trai... Diameter | etrailer.com ) and wired them up.Slide the light fixture in and snip the metal 1 inch down from the end of the tube all the way around the light so you have 1 inch tabs all the way around the outside of the frame of the car.Pick out the 4 tabs that match up to your holes and screw them down to the frame.NOW, covering up this stuff with the trim ring is not easy and if you come up with a better way please let me know...I bought some gasket material and made a gasket to kind of hide some of the work and I drilled new holes to attach the trim ring. I need a better way to drain water out of these and the adhesive strips are under test as we speak LOL. I ran out of chrome strip and am currently waiting for more,it all comes from China via e bay.
Let me know if you can improve on this in any way !
Call me if you need to, I'm glad to help a Galaxie Brother !! 618-977-9165
Big thanks to FORD40, his original afterburner pics post started all this !!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts