Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my set up: 94 F150 8.8 axle housing, 4.10 FMS gears, Auburn high performerance limited-slip #542025

I searched the forums and called Auburn and could not find a fix for this. Somehow after I removed the pinion pin the side gears in the carrier rotated, causing a misalignment and making re-installation of pinion pin impossible. Gentle prying and tapping on the side gears and spring retainers hasn't helped. I tried to hold the carrier and turn the axles, nothing. I have had this problem with an open diff but I easily fixed it.Sorry for the lack of pics, but I heard this problem is common. Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think everyone does that at least once in life! You are going to just have to rotate the gears back into place....probably going to take a couple trys to get them both lined up properly. Nothing to it though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the problem is a little more complicated. The gears within the carrier seem to be jammed against the spring retainer, and completely immobile. I set up the ring and pinion perfectly, and the axles turn easily when the pinion gear is turned. Should I try to tap the carrier gears back into rotation? Do I just have to hold the carrier in place while using an incredible amount of force to turn the axle? Its pretty discouraging to completely rebuild the rear end only to be held up by this. Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
847 Posts
ok the friction from the clutches are not allowing you you get it back in place.
Ford make a tool to do this on the bench.what needs to happen is the side gears need to be pressed away from the spider gears. There is a very fine line between being able to move it and it jamming up. Iv never done the in the vechicle iv alway done this on the bench. But what you could do is put the wheel back on on one side and have it touch the ground. then rotate the pinion. What you are trying to do is allow the diff clutches to slip. I shouldnt be to hard to move maybe have to put a bar on the pinion to move it.

Here's my set up: 94 F150 8.8 axle housing, 4.10 FMS gears, Auburn high performerance limited-slip #542025

I searched the forums and called Auburn and could not find a fix for this. Somehow after I removed the pinion pin the side gears in the carrier rotated, causing a misalignment and making re-installation of pinion pin impossible. Gentle prying and tapping on the side gears and spring retainers hasn't helped. I tried to hold the carrier and turn the axles, nothing. I have had this problem with an open diff but I easily fixed it.Sorry for the lack of pics, but I heard this problem is common. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts