Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried a disc. brake set up from this place? I have read the forums on this subject however no one has told me about final result of car alignment. Will sindles from 1968 or 1969 ful size(LTD,Galaxie) work on 1964 galaxies? I have tried 1974 set up and don't want to go though expense again.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I wonder if these brakes are always on ebay, if it's the same place. I remember gbeeler talking about a site, hopefully he chimes on soon, but the ones ebay has up look decent, comparable as a kit, fit and $$$ wise. I was looking for a booster from them and may hook up onbe day. That's really all I need as I scored a setup off a 78 t-bird. Pretty much all 70's car spindles work, the rotors are about the same on everything, pads I guess are interchangeable on everything and calipers too. Some huge cars (mark 5) had a oddball 5.5" bolt pattern so beware. Common swaps are from t-bird's mainly 77-79, and torino's from 74-? to play safe. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Only thing I have heard is that you must abandon your original 1964 wheels, and use either later Ford or custom ones. Was a local about to put the set up onto his 1962, but died first. He was looking for certain appearing wheels is all that I remember.

Wm.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Sorry guys! I was on vacation until today and have been playing catch up all day! I used MP Brakes. There kit doesn't require new spindles and such. 11 3/4 or so rotors...I believe that is what Ford calls a 12" rotor. And my manhood is 10"...stretching the truth to sound important. Oh well I love the kit and it was very easy to put on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello again
I just talk to a guy tonight. He
has a 1972 Ranchero disc car. I saw in the Technical content of this forum about this swap upgrade for early Galaxies. The article used72 or73 intermediate spindles. Do any of you know if the geometry is differant in 1974 or just bearing sizes?

·
Registered
144 Posts
On 2006-08-25 14:03, gbeeler wrote:
Sorry guys! I was on vacation until today and have been playing catch up all day! I used MP Brakes. There kit doesn't require new spindles and such. 11 3/4 or so rotors...I believe that is what Ford calls a 12" rotor. And my manhood is 10"...stretching the truth to sound important. Oh well I love the kit and it was very easy to put on.
Did you use the complete kit from MP ?
A friend had some trouble with his front disc kit that he got from MP.
He needed different tie rod ends that he says MP didn't tell him about.
He was also having some kind of trouble with the booster/master cylinder that came in the kit.
I'll get the lowdown from him today.

RR

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I used the complete "bolt on" kit and had no problems what-so-ever.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just picked up a 65 Galaxie and the wifes only complaint about the car is the manual brakes, reading your post I am wondering if adding a power brake setup would be good enough or should I go all out and install disc brakes. This is a 289 car and will someday install the 302 (bare bones) out of my streetrod in it. Will the power drum brakes be good enough. The entire front end was gone thru befor we bought the car so it rides and handles great.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have stock power drum brakes on my 65 currently and they work just fine. I do make a concious effort to keep a greater distance between me and the car in front though. However my plan is to go with power disc fronts. extra stopping power is never a bad thing. Especially in todays traffic where most of the cars have much better braking systems and can stop a lot sooner than I can.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks Chooch65, is your car a foctory equiped power brakes or is it added on? I can buy a new booster and master cylinder from napa for about $170 but I was wondering if the pedal rod was going to work or will I need to find a power brake pedal rod.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put the MP manual disc brake kit including the master cylinder on my 64. I had some problems with the MP Kit. This included a low brake pedal which came up after one pump which was isolated to the front brakes. The master cylinder has a residual pressure valve for the front brakes but is wasn't stong enough to hold the pads to the rotor when the brake pedal was released for a number of seconds. An inline residual valve was added and it cured some of the low pedal problem. The second problem was that the rotor was not parallel to the calipers. It was so far out that it took a lot of pedal pressure to stop and would have worn out the pads very quickly. I had the MP mounting bracket shimmed and milled so the caliper was parallel to the rotor. Both these fixes cured the low pedal and hard braking problem. I also replaced the rear brake shoes with a softer compound shoe and replaced the rear wheel cylinders with 1 inch diameter units from the stock 15/16 inchers. The car now stops like it has power brakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a bad experience with Direct Fit Brakes / dfbrakes.com located in Glendale, Arizona. I placed my order with the owner, Greg Perry on a Friday afternoon. It turns out they frequently leave early on Fridays; even at a time when companies should be working harder than ever in this frail economy. Four weeks later, I am still waiting for my order! After research, I was told that Greg forgot the information at home. Hum? He forgot the information at home but charged my credit card first thing on Monday… how interesting. For the next six weeks, I have been given one excuse after another. Their web site is very clear; they inspect everything before it is shipped. But, one excuse I was given is that spindles are drop shipped from the factory directly to me. Unless they work at the factory, I don’t think they can make this claim. They also claim 24x7 support but why is it that 95% of my calls are unanswered and/or I don’t get my repeated requests for status returned to me? It is rather obvious to me that something is very wrong with this company and a quick Google search or look at their negative eBay feedback gives strong indicators that customers should be concerned. I felt the need to share my experience so others can be informed and at a minimum proceed with caution when doing business with them. I am a firm believer in Integrity and Accountability; We are the customers are expected to be honest and I expect the same from anyone who takes my money!
Please don’t ban me from this forum. I feel obligated to share my experience with others. I placed my first post on the Chevy Tri-Five forum describing this situation and what do you know; I was immediately banned for life with no reason given. It seems that Tri-Five is partially sponsored by Direct Fit Brakes. I guess Tri-Five protects their sponsors even if they are dishonest.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Thats good to know. I hope that never happens in this forum. If somone has a problem with a 'sponsor', you would think someone would go the extra mile to make it right. Delays and screwups happen on occasion, but dont give a guy a line of bull, and do your best to make it right. Right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Direct Fit Brakes, Greg Perry.........This is my first post at this forum and really first post anywhere. I'm not one to spread negative comments about a business but I'm going to let you know my experience with Direct Fit Brakes and its not good! So after you read the below I would appreciate any help you can give a fellow Ford enthusiast, I would return the favor.

I'm still trying to get my '65 Galaxie front disc conversion that I ordered from DFB, Greg Perry Sept. 4 2008 for $704 ($639 plus shipping). I spoke with Greg myself that day and was hesitant because his price was almost half of other name brand companies. I wanted 12" rotors instead of 11" after reading the excellent post on this website. Greg seemed very knowledgeable about the inner/outer bearing combination and understood what I was after, 12" rotor with 5 on 4-1/2" spacing.

Well its now March 11, 2009.. 6 months later and still no kit. Nobody will answer their phone or return my message to call me back or respond to email. I finally filed a compliant with BBB in Feb. '09, but that didn't accomplish a great deal other than to let others know to beware on BBB website. I received an email from BBB saying they didn't receive a reply from DFB and therefore couldn't really be of anymore assistance. I've called the Arizona and Missouri Attorney General office and filed a complaint, these are still in process. I've called my credit card company's fraud dept. who are going to investigate.

I would caution anybody from purchasing product from Direct Fit Brake or anything for that matter from Greg Perry unless you live down the road in Glendale AZ and can drive to his business to discuss the matter face to face. Probably wouldn't be much discussing for alot of people since he has pushed several to their limits.

I would appreciate everybody calling Direct Fit Brakes at 1-877-487-5330 and leave a message letting them know that its not appreciated to have a business selling classic car parts not delivering product. Sure, you might ask... I don't know the person who posted this or their motive, and I would say read other posts and view the negative feed back multiple places. I should have done that before I purchased a kit. Lesson learned!

Thanks for listening and allowing me to post!

If you are having problems as well or want to drop me a line please feel free to do so at [email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the post Tony. I might try the mail fraud if I don't find anything out tomorrow. After reading an earlier post from TJ22 about Tri-Five I decided to investigate and found a post by Classic Gary and he was complaining about the time it was taking and was concerned that he might not receive his parts. The administrator of the site quickly posted and said he would give Greg Perry a call. Later Otis the administrator of Tri-Five posted and said he talked to Greg and Classic Gary should be receiving product. Gary posted several other times but ultimatly stated he did receive what he ordered and thanked Otis.

I joined Tri-Five website because I have an interest in these cars as well and decided to send Otis a private message explaining my dilemma and left my cell phone number for him to call to get further details. I hit send and no kidding my phone rang less than a minute later and it was Otis wanting the details. He is going to call Greg tomorrow to find out what the problem is and why its been over 6 months. Direct Fit Brakes is a vendor sponsor of Tri-Five. Obvisouley Im very impressed with Otis of Tri-Five. Regardless of my dilemma and Otis offering a helping hand I would recommend Tri-Five forum regarless of my outcome. After spending some time reading all types of posts it is a well put together web site. I will keep everybody posted on my saga.

BTW, I emailed Mark Reynolds the Director of Ford Galaxie Club and he said that Direct Fit Brakes was "blackballed" from this club and they advise all their members to stay away. I've been a member of this club for several years and didn't think about even asking about the creditablility of DFB, wish I would of.

Best,
Matt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts