Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a truck last july as a bomb around town vehical, it's a 94 with at the time 79000 miles on it. Anyhow, as with any vehical other than my own, engine inside has the usual soot/carbon coverage. Not as bad as I have seen, but I would like to clean it out. Does anyone have any tricks to doing this? I've been running mobil oil because of the high detergent content, and changing the oil every 1000 miles to try to get some of it out. Ahh yes the joys of buying a used vehical

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I've heard there is a detergent you can add to your oil, and run the engine for like 10 minutes, then change the oil. It's supposed to break down all the thick buildup and deposits, but you don't want to run it for long because it also makes your oil not lubricate.
I think it's supposed to be the same stuff as in ATF, and so you can accomplish similar results by adding a quart or so of ATF to your engine, run for 10 min, then change. I don't think I'd ever try it on my rig, but it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
we use about 2 gallons of diesel in the crankcase. Start it up, let it idle, maybe just light throttle to splash it around, but definetly dont load it! Do it a couple times, then put the right amount of oil in it, run it again, then change it. After that, she should be clean as a whistle...and it stays that way for a long time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
after running synthetic (mobil one), the little bit of smudge that was on the inside the valve covers(used previously on another engine) when i put the engine together was gone the next time i pulled my them after i switched to synthetic.
Using synthetic is expensive and probably not worth it for your case, but its and idea

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I don't recommend the "detergent" as I have seen far too many engines lose oil pressure & need a rebuild. Diesel works well but it's messy. Since you're going to change your oil at 1K intervals, try a quart of type F. There's some companies that sell engine cleaners but they're about the same chemical make up as TF.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts