Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to separate the power steering reservoir, the pump, and the pulley so I can paint them. Does the 1" nut inside the reservoir unscrew? And does the pulley just unscrew off the front of pump?

The shop manual says, "Remove the retaining nut and the reinforcement from the reservoir." What the heck does that mean? It seems like lots of you guys have rebuilt your power steering pumps, so I'm sure someone knows how to separate these pieces.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Not sure about the reservoir, but to remove the pulley, just remove the bolt holding it on. There is a key way to keep the pulley from spinning, so just pull it off straight. May need a gear puller if it is stuck on there.

I have never taken one apart, but I am holding a NOS pump in my hand. It looks like the reservoir is held onto the pump by some kind of bolt or nut inside the reservoir. There is a large blind tapped hole where the reservoir attaches to on the top of the pump itself. The bracket in the lower left of your picture also comes off from the pump if need be. Maybe this is what the manual is referring to as the reinforcement. This bracket doesn't attach to the reservoir though, just the pump body itself as far as I can see.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
That is exactly how it comes apart. When I pulled off my pulley I had to figure out where the key way went. That thing really caught some air. Here is a handy article that will help. Bob Johnstones Studebaker Resource Website ()

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Wonder if there is one out there this detailed for the power valve part of the power steering? That is the one part i really could of used when i did mine. All i had was schematics and was happy it still worked when i was done! Still leaks like crazy though but not quite as bad as it did before so must of gotten something wrong or missed something.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
l Wonder if there is one out there this detailed for the power valve part of the power steering?
Should be fully covered in your Shop Manual, that and verifying correct pressure(s).

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
What does rebuilding a PS cylinder have to do with a EATON PS PUMP dis-assembly question?
If he's working on rebuilding or repairing the pump he might decide to do the cylinder and valve also sometime. Some people do you know.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The power steering assembly worked perfectly before I disassembled it, so I'm going to do a cosmetic restoration.

...Until it breaks, then I'm going to return to this thread and consult with the experts!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Originally Posted by KULTULZ

What does rebuilding a PS cylinder have to do with a EATON PS PUMP dis-assembly question?

If he's working on rebuilding or repairing the pump he might decide to do the cylinder and valve also sometime.

Some people do you know.
:confused:

...I get it. I would never have connected the two.

There is a method to your madness... ;)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts