Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a rear axle setup with abs out of a 1988 turbo coupe thunderbird this last weekend.
I know it has 3.55:1 ratio and limited slip but what does the 'S' stand for? Here's the tag:
431D
3SL55 88 8D05
What do I need to do to install it in my 82 mustang? I remember someone telling me to do something to the brake line that runs along the passenger side of the firewall.

Do I have to replace the brake master cylinder? If so, what can I replace it with?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on, people, I find it hard to believe no one here has done this swap or has any knowledge of what to use to accomplish it.
I'm looking for some info concerning the brake master cylinder and proportioning valve to get the discs to work safely and properly.
It should be an upgrade most of you have considered at one time or another, especially going to an 8.8 from the 7.5 rear, AND with disc brakes.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i did this in my 85 tbird. i used an svo master,a prop valve out of an lsc, and i had to extend the brake line up to the middle of the car to meet with the lines off the 8.8 . if you plan to use quad shocks you will have to re drill the holes in the tbird rear 2" lower. if you want ebrakes i think you need 93 cobra cables ( 93 cobra used the tc rear).

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 Bad 88 GT, thanks for that. I had seen something , probably this very same article, a while ago - I just couldn't remember where.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts