Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a front disc brake conversion on my 62 Galaxie. All went well until i tried to close the hood.

As you can see in the pic from the side that the booster and master are on quite an angle while the vehicle is relatively flat. This is obviously causing a clearance issue when closing the hood and I don't think it should be on that much of an angle. I just got the vehicle and am not sure if the previous owner had changed the booster or if it's stock.
Most of the replacement brake boosters i've looked at online look to mount quite square to the firewall.
Anybody know off hand?

It's a complete conversion front drum to disc kit from SSBC.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just did a front disc brake conversion on my 62 Galaxie. All went well until i tried to close the hood.
It doesn't look like it's got the right bellcrank/bracket assembly on the booster.

The booster should be sitting more or less level.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, helpful pictures.
Anyone know if any other boosters fit my 62 or if my booster should be sitting more level like his?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't look like it's got the right bellcrank/bracket assembly on the booster.

The booster should be sitting more or less level.

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought after trying to close the hood after putting the dual master on. The original wasn't an issue cause it was shorter.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I found this on ebay. It is a 62 with power brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Does the plastic spacer under the MC go all the way around? I ask because of the RTV the PO put on the upper half.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 67 Ford had a slight angle to the bracket between the firewall and the booster.

When you're done shooting that monster buck, (or when you come home dry like I did earlier this week) take a look at it. If the bolts holding it to the firewall have been disturbed, maybe he goofed putting it back.
ha monster buck. I wish. Work actually...

anyways, ya it's has quite an angle on the bracket itself.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I must have some other random booster on mine.
It is the incorrect booster. It looks like a 66/67 FAIRLANE booster that has to position the MC over the apron. Was it on the car before the conversion?

I know one thing, you will never be able to fill the MC reservoirs properly with it sitting at that angle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is the incorrect booster. It looks like a 66/67 FAIRLANE booster that has to position the MC over the apron. Was it on the car before the conversion?

I know one thing, you will never be able to fill the MC reservoirs properly with it sitting at that angle.

Yes, it was on the car when I bought it.
lol, that is quite the angle! I was getting about 3 pumps out the front reservoir when bleeding the brakes.
Thx, I'll start browsing for boosters...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You would have to park it it one of those San Francisco hills to get it level enough to fill and bleed.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Yes, it was on the car when I bought it.
lol, that is quite the angle! I was getting about 3 pumps out the front reservoir when bleeding the brakes.
Thx, I'll start browsing for boosters...

Man! In that picture it looks like the engine it tilted up, too.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
You may have the wrong booster there, there were two that were used in '62 and that doesn't look like either of them that I know of. However, you're still screwed because the angle adapter that goes from booster to firewall is angled anyway and if you try to replace that fruit jar single chamber MC to the dual chamber, you'll hit the hood. I went through 4-5 different "low profile" MC's all trying to keep my booster on my '62 wagon and in the end the booster just had to go and I converted to manual brakes with my front end disc kit. There may be some ultra-low profile master cylinders with remove reservoirs that will work, but it's not so much the height of them, but the length causing the problem. I have a rear disc kit ready to go on the car this winter and I will likely upgrade to a pro-bingly wilwood master cylinder, but still keeping manual brakes since the new motor makes pretty much no vacuum. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts