Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1962 Ford Galaxy, I am thinking about converting to disc brakes, does anyone have any brands they would recommend?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I have a 1962 Ford Galaxy, I am thinking about converting to disc brakes, does anyone have any brands they would recommend?
Installed the Wilwood front manual conversion on my 68. They are a bit pricey but the easiest and best swap I ever did.

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
The things to watch are: some kits require 15" wheels, some (SSBC, MPB, Dearborn?) won't work with swaybar and some big kits come with a MC/booster that don't fit right or leaves the brake pedal too high.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The things to watch are: some kits require 15" wheels, some (SSBC, MPB, Dearborn?) won't work with swaybar and some big kits come with a MC/booster that don't fit right or leaves the brake pedal too high.
Ok, thank you so much for the information, Have been looking at the Wildwood brand, they have a 14 inch kit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went with the 4 wheel manual wilwood kit. I love the brakes and look once I got all of the correct parts. The problems were a supplier issue and not a wilwood issue. You can read about my struggles here to make sure that you get the right stuff.

BC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, the disc brakes will be lighter and more efficient. I have the original wheels on it now, it is all original, 352, automatic, power steering, I have bought a 390 engine to be rebuilt later. It is restored, one owner, my great aunt bought it new, never drove out of county she lived in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a 67 custom 500 and I went to scarebird the kit bolted right on and works great they are gm metric brakes but I prefer those over the ford style disc brakes make sure you call ccp brakes or mp brakes for info on sizing of a dual reservoir corvette style master cylinder and booster I am using a 1 1/8 bore with a dual diaphragm 7" booster with a ccp 4 wheel disc proportioning valve

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
No experience with scarebird and they may be the same but the wilwood front I did was a direct bolt on using the same factory ms.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went with the 4 wheel manual wilwood kit. I love the brakes and look once I got all of the correct parts. The problems were a supplier issue and not a wilwood issue. You can read about my struggles here to make sure that you get the right stuff.

BC
That sounds like a great kit for conversion. MY uncle got a new Galaxie project, I'll just finish installing the brake kit and lexani wheels on the current truck project and I'll come over to discuss this Wilwood kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts