Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a heck of a time finding a disc brake kit that will work for my 63 Galaxie and 15" Cragars. I started out wanting to order a Wilwood kit front and rear (140-13653-D and 140-9282-D), but 3 weeks of emails with them left me with the very frustrating realization that they do not offer the front and rear kits in the same color options unless you want red. I do not want red. The only other options they offer are ano grey fronts and black rears. Stupidest thing I've ever heard. They will of course upcharge me for a "custom" order of matching calipers if I order from them directly (on top of charging me more for the kit than their vendors charge). I have dedicated about 8 hours of my life to trying to give Wilwood a couple thousand dollars, but they have failed me at every turn so they are now dead to me.

Moving on to Baer, I like their Classic Series and those look like they would fit under my Cragars, but they only offer them for Mustang / Fairlane / Falcon / Torino due to the different Galaxie spindle. The only way they can help me is if I go with much larger wheels or figure out some sort of Mustang II spindle swap, neither of which are appealing to me.

Is there nobody out there running a well known disc brake brand on a 63/64 Galaxie under 15" wheels?

·
Premium Member
5,416 Posts
I fitted complete 1971 Galaxie spindles and caliper assemblies to my '63 Galaxie. Everything fitted with minimal fuss. Just need a couple small modifications.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, danv. I don't think that will help my particular case because Baer doesn't make their Classic Series for Galaxies of any year, but I do appreciate the info.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have you looked into Leeds? I honestly think the adherence to the 15" wheels is going to be an issue, but there is a ton of kits listed on their site when I put in 63 Galaxie. That said, the reality of those kits fitting all of those applications may be optimistic.

·
Registered
344 Posts
What color were you hoping for on the calipers? you can always get them grey, have them blasted and ceracoated or powdercoated. Buddy of mine with a 67 is using th ered calipers from wilwood and the master/booster from leeds. fwiw...I have a leeds kit on mine, and running the stock 15's no issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you looked into Leeds? I honestly think the adherence to the 15" wheels is going to be an issue, but there is a ton of kits listed on their site when I put in 63 Galaxie. That said, the reality of those kits fitting all of those applications may be optimistic.
I am starting to look into Leeds, thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What color were you hoping for on the calipers? you can always get them grey, have them blasted and ceracoated or powdercoated. Buddy of mine with a 67 is using th ered calipers from wilwood and the master/booster from leeds. fwiw...I have a leeds kit on mine, and running the stock 15's no issues.
I am looking for either black or grey, doesn't much matter but I do not want red. It still blows me away that Wilwood makes it this difficult to order a front and rear kit with the same caliper color. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
344 Posts
fwiw.. the duplicolor caliper paint is really, really good as well. I know it might sound hokey but i used it a lot on non brake applications as well and its really good. and i have done calipers with it as well (mostly vintage motorcycle applications).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems to me the answer is pretty simple, order the front and rear brakes and paint them the color you want.
Yes that is one obvious solution, but it is one I'm not entertaining. Disassembling and painting brand new calipers because a company can't figure out how to send them to you in matching colors is not an acceptable answer in my book. The fact that Wilwood puts people in this position is asinine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to close the loop here, I finally got a hold of someone at Summit that was willing to pick up the phone and call Wilwood to order my "custom" matching calipers. It took two orders because Summit lost my first one, and I think I have somewhere between 8-10 hours wrapped up in this whole order process between phone calls and emails to both Wilwood and Summit, but at least it's done at the brakes are now in my shop. What an ordeal. Thanks for being such a giant pain in the ass, Wilwood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having a heck of a time finding a disc brake kit that will work for my 63 Galaxie and 15" Cragars. I started out wanting to order a Wilwood kit front and rear (140-13653-D and 140-9282-D), but 3 weeks of emails with them left me with the very frustrating realization that they do not offer the front and rear kits in the same color options unless you want red. I do not want red. The only other options they offer are ano grey fronts and black rears. Stupidest thing I've ever heard. They will of course upcharge me for a "custom" order of matching calipers if I order from them directly (on top of charging me more for the kit than their vendors charge). I have dedicated about 8 hours of my life to trying to give Wilwood a couple thousand dollars, but they have failed me at every turn so they are now dead to me.

Moving on to Baer, I like their Classic Series and those look like they would fit under my Cragars, but they only offer them for Mustang / Fairlane / Falcon / Torino due to the different Galaxie spindle. The only way they can help me is if I go with much larger wheels or figure out some sort of Mustang II spindle swap, neither of which are appealing to me.

Is there nobody out there running a well known disc brake brand on a 63/64 Galaxie under 15" wheels?

I am having the same issue. I installed the black calipers in the rear and dont see the front in black. Wilwood responded with the comment below..

Thank you for the inquiry with Wilwood Disc Brakes.

This is a little tricky as we do not have one single part number for the kit in question, you would simply ask for the 140-1353-D kit and request black calipers or caliper 120-13551-BK.

Regards,

Wilwood Disc Brakes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes that is one obvious solution, but it is one I'm not entertaining. Disassembling and painting brand new calipers because a company can't figure out how to send them to you in matching colors is not an acceptable answer in my book. The fact that Wilwood puts people in this position is asinine.
Agreed, Wilwood is a premium brand and price. I am trying to get the front to match the rear. Its not like its a custom color, just black.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am having the same issue. I installed the black calipers in the rear and dont see the front in black. Wilwood responded with the comment below..

...you would simply ask for the 140-1353-D kit and request black calipers or caliper 120-13551-BK...
Yeah, they make it sound so easy...but even after hours of phone calls with Summit and Wilwood, my "custom order" for matching calipers still came to me with grey anodized up front and black in the rear. All Wilwood would have to do is create part numbers for kits that have matching caliper colors. Seems like something 100% of car people would want, but I guess that's a bridge too far for Wilwood.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed, Wilwood is a premium brand and price. I am trying to get the front to match the rear. Its not like its a custom color, just black.
Hope you have better luck than I did.

Can you imagine ordering a new 2022 Mustang GT in Carbonized Grey, and when it showed up one of the fenders was Grabber Blue, and then Ford says "that's just the way we make 'em...if you want the whole car to match you need to place a custom order with us and we will see if we can accomodate your special request after sinking hours upon hours into speaking with us."

And after all that effort, your Carbonized Grey GT still shows up with a Grabber Blue fender and some yahoo on the internet says "What's the big deal? The obvious solution is for you to have your brand new Mustang fender re-sprayed at your cost and on your time." JFC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts