Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When applying the brakes on my 67 stang the brakes seem to stick as if the pedal does'nt want to come back up. I thought I needed a vacuum can, but it helped very little. I replaced the power brake booster and cylinder with still no luck. Do I replace the calipers next? Anybody have this before?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Could be several things. Since you replaced the master cylinder it is tempting to ASSume that isn't the problem. ASSuming of course it is the appropriate model without a residual pressure check valve (which drum masters have). Most likely the caliper (I'm pretty sure 67's have floating as opposed to the earlier 4-piston) is stuck in the bracket and isn't sliding freely back and forth. Next likely is that there is enough crap or corrosion inside the caliper bore to prevent the piston from withdrawing into the bore when the pedal is released. There is a remote chance that the flex lines are deteriorating from the inside and holding line pressure to the caliper. Believe it or not, that happened to a car of mine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a feeling the calipers are corroded inside. If I remember it was difficult to open the piston far enough to install new pads last time. Do you think it is possible to rebuild the calipers or scrap them and buy new ones?

·
Registered
739 Posts
It is your choice but I would suggest checking your options on rebuilt units. I got some rebuilt Eldo calipers for the rear of my '65 fastback and they look A-1. They are usually an exchange deal. Others may say the rebuilts aren't worth your time...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts