Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating whether or not to put disc brakes in my stang. I have had conflicting suggestions as to whether it is worth it to do it or not. Has anyone replaced the drums with discs?? Could you give me your feedback on it???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ponygirl67 on 1/20/02 9:09am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ponygirl67 on 1/20/02 9:11am ]</font>

·
Registered
58 Posts
i've done disk brake swaps before and it is nice to be able to stop hurry with out pulling the steeringwheel off.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I changed from drum to disc on my 67. Stops much better and is safer too especially in wet weather.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Go to www.fomoco.com go to the techboard and look for MustangSteve. He has his own site dedicated to a granada front disc swap very informative site, Just can't remember it's url.

·
Registered
65 Posts
On 2002-01-19 23:26, DynoTom wrote:

All you need are Granada spindles,calipers,rotors,pads and the Granada outer tie rod ends to swap your car over.
I just wish those Granadas are as easy to find here
Harder to find one than a Mustang over here.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Yes bluetech, I was even thinking that the Canadian "Ponygirl67" would maybe have a hard time finding the swap stuff in her country?

Im sure the stuff would be almost impossible to find in your country!

Its pretty easy to find around here,I got my spindles for $20 and the calipers and rotors were a total of $100 new from the parts store.

The whole swap cost me around $225 to do on my car.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes...I was told it would be almost a thousand bucks to change them over. I think I need a second opinion and I am going to start looking around for the parts and price them out. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
672 Posts
On 2002-01-19 23:26, DynoTom wrote:
All you need are Granada spindles,calipers,rotors,pads and the Granada outer tie rod ends to swap your car over.
Would it be the same for a 68 Fairlane?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Best thing I ever did was Granada brakes.

Get an adjustable proportioning valve too.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Here is a link to all the swap info you would need in this.

I looked it over and its correct.

It shows some pics and gives good info for you to use.

http://www.stuart.iit.edu/students/2112/restoration/diskbrakes.htm

1995 F-350 XLT SuperCab DRW 460 EFI 2x4~~1991 Mustang GT 5.0 5-speed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 1/20/02 10:35pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I think it will to, but not sure on the tie-rod end, that's the only thing stopping me from putting on my spare Cougar disk set-up, plus the fact rotors are 120.Can. each.

·
Registered
80 Posts
try this link. www.geocities.com/motorcity/1104
this is woody's fairlane site, go to the disc brake swap article, lots of good pics and parts listings.
you will like the granada brakes, they are way better than the drums
one thing to be careful of though, you have to have a master cylinder for a disc/drum setup on your car, the stock drum/drum master has a residual pressure check valve in the outlet ports. this will cause your calipers to hang up when you apply the brakes. i'm using a '75 maverick manual disc/drum master on my '68 torino. if you have factory power brakes on your car, you should be able to use a disc/drum master for your year.
hope this helps you out

·
Registered
80 Posts
Almost forgot, like Dyno Tom said use the granada outer tie rods in your stock sleeves
Moog p/n is ES-442RL

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
hey, well I did the swamp from a maverick.It cost me about 150$ for the parts from a junk yard and did it myself in a day best money I spent. do it that's my 2 c

·
Registered
122 Posts
Actually, the stock early Mustang/cougar disk brakes are a straight bolt in. You don't need to change the spindles or anything. their stopping power is just as good as the Granada's
There are some down sides. You are not likely to find many in a junk yard as people like me have taken them for spare parts. Rotors are about $120 each. And what gets most people is the calipers. They are 4 piston fixed units. Those pistons can stick in the bores after a few winters in the NorthEast. The first time I rebuilt mine, it took about 8hrs per caliper! Now I can do it in 1-2hrs. Brake shops generally will not work on them. You can buy new calipers at about $130 ea. So buying all new parts including master cylinder, etc will run $600-$700. But the calipers do not wear out as some say. I bought my 66 new and it still has the original calipers even after 500,000 miles. So, original units cost more, but are a little easier to install.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts