Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i know this has been talked about before but i would like to know what it the best spindels to use on 63 galaxie for disc i have heard the 78 79 tbird or ltd need some help here

·
Registered
653 Posts
70-72 Galaxie/LTD/Marquis/etc.

Requires 15in wheels and a little attention to the tierod ends.

The later Torino/Bird setup is smaller, will fit in some 14in wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
I've just fitted the later Galaxie spindles, and it was a bolt on swap. I don't know why I didn't do this in the first place.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I appreciate all the headaches and hair-pulling that danv experienced and shared with us with his first conversion,....I was just about to order the same kit he did.

I rather like the idea of using OEM parts, even if from a different generation Galaxie.

From what I can dig up, the 70-72 spindles from a Galaxie / Mercury, or from the 70-71 Mark III / Thunderbird fit the upper and lower ball joints.
However the tie-rod end is in a different position. Maybe 5/8ths of an inch outboard of the 63 location.
I'm pretty sure that changes the Ackerman angle a bit...but I remember reading somewhere that the Ackerman angle is ok if it's within the range of like 1/3rd of the wheelbase. Perhaps the worst thing with a 1 1/4 longer tie-rod would be some wheel scrub in a tight turn.

Anybody know more about it?

I'm at the point of my restoration where I need to order the disc brake parts.....and I'm thinking about trying to locate the entire 70-72 system from the firewall to the rotor cap and everything in between.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Tommy, you wont need to buy new tie rods. The '63 ones will do.
Just adjust the sleeve to make up the difference. It was not many turns, and still left plenty of length for further adjustments.
Before I did all this and fitted the later Galaxie spindles, I checked everything as close as I could, and I could see no other differences compared to the '63 spindles, apart from the later ones being slightly thicker in some areas. No difference in wheel mounting position which would affect track or camber. I think they were spot on the same.

I reckon anyone would be happy fitting later Galaxie spindles to their early Galaxies.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ok this is a little different but same topic. I have a 68 wagon with factory disk brakes what else do they fit? Just the 66-69 Galaxies or would these also fit earlier and later cars?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ok this is a little different but same topic. I have a 68 wagon with factory disk brakes what else do they fit? Just the 66-69 Galaxies or would these also fit earlier and later cars?
The Galaxie and big Mercury went through a lot of little changes in its brake setup over the years. First you had the four-piston brakes in '66-67, then from '68 you had single-piston brakes but with a rotor pressed onto the hub, then you had a one-piece rotor/hub but still with the early small spindle snout, then from '70 you got the big snout and one-piece rotor/hub with the 5 x 4 1/2 bolt circle, in '73 they kept the same spindle and caliper but went to a 5 x 5 bolt circle in the rotor, then in '74 they changed the spindle snout again...

As another poster noted, these parts came and went on Marks and the big Thunderbirds too, I thought the first year of Mark IV ('72) also used the same setup then went 5 x 5 in '73 but I could be wrong. Other Lincolns kept four-piston calipers into the early '70s (they are, technically, a bit better brakes but parts are pricier; the four-piston Lincoln calipers and an earlier Lincoln rotor were sold with an adapter bracket as part of the 'Muscle Parts' Trans-Am brake kit for Boss 302 Mustangs.)

You can pretty much use a complete setup if you've got it, but if you're buying parts IMO it makes sense to shoot for the '70-72 setup because that gets you the big spindle snout/bearings with the most easily available 5 x 4 1/2 rotor.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Yep great information JEM. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, DanV's experience with his conversion has convinced me to give the Ford parts a try instead of an aftermarket kit.

Right now I have the '63 in a thousand pieces and the bare frame is on the rotisserie......the perfect opportunity for a disc brake upgrade.

Yesterday I called Flat Top Bob over in Texas and all he had was a full setup for a 72 Thunderbird. No go on the salvage yard stuff.

So last night on ebay I picked up two spindles, (with the backing plates and caliper mounts). I hope I did ok....they're mis-matched:

One 1970-1971 Lincoln Mark III left
One 1970-1971-1972 Ford LTD right

I'll post what I learn as I go along in another thread.....

Uh oh,.......I just looked for new rotors for those spindles.....the replacement disk slips over the hub,....I don't have hubs. *&^%$!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts