Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to reassemble the forward drum and clutch but running into issues with the belleville- or disc- or return- or whatever-you-want-to-call-it spring and the non-selective snap ring seated. I can get one part of the ring into the groove but the other side sits about 1/4" above the groove as the spring pushes up on it. Using my hands can get the snap ring to within an 1/8" or so of the groove but that is it. I tried placing an old steel over the ring and a set of c-clamps to force the spring and ring into place but even that didn't do it. I watched the youtube video of the C4 rebuild and his just snapped into place with minimal effort. The Haynes manual doesn't say anything as far as effort to install either. Other forums noted a tight fit but not how they actually installed the snap ring. I've also read that the spring can "flip"... can someone elaborate on what that means and how to tell? I went ahead and ordered a new spring and ring today as I'm worried I bent/distorted the existing ones trying to get them installed.

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
The ring to retain it should have one square ends and be .080" thick

You apply pressure down and work the snap ring around . It is a tight fit , it has to be to be a return spring. watch that the disc stays centred , if it moves across off centre the snap ring wont go in

When it flips it turns basically inside out. Excess clearance or pressure the cause

You'll find a new disc placed upside down on a flat bench will measure around 0.265" to the top of the centre fingers
Uses ones about .220-.230". Much less and they are no good and a loose fit

1 - 2 of 2 Posts