Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas, i found a 74 torino at the local pick n parts. i was wondering if i could take the entire front end suspension and bolt it right up to my 67 galaxie. im aiming towards the disk brake setup but i would like to kill two birds with one stone and take the entire setup if possible.

thanks fellas

·
Registered
260 Posts
hey fellas, i found a 74 torino at the local pick n parts. i was wondering if i could take the entire front end suspension and bolt it right up to my 67 galaxie. im aiming towards the disk brake setup but i would like to kill two birds with one stone and take the entire setup if possible.

thanks fellas

you can, but you may need different outer tie rod ends. this will all depend on what clearance you end up with.

If you see another set of spindles there, let me know how much and I'll buy them from you. I havent been able to find any in the local yards.

I'll be swapping torino spindles in too so I can run the Baer 6 piston brake setup. It is pricey, but works incredibly well on the track. My 2 piston SSBC calipers and smallish 11" rotors fade pretty badly after a few laps.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey fellas having trouble....
do i gota compress the spring first?
then unbolt the shock?
then hammer ball joint?
then remove spindle?

quick response would be awsome- thanks fellas

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Shock comes out first, then compress spring, then hammer ball joint, last thing remove spindle. I don't compress the spring when I'm at the junkyard. I just remove the shock then hammer the spindle at the ball joint while standing to the side and let the spring do its thing. Kids don't try this at home.

·
Registered
260 Posts
BE SAFE!

Buy yourself a ball joint separator. Buy yourself quality spring compressors.

Wear gloves and eye protection.

the steps:

remove shock

Remove spring

remove spindle

remove strut rod

remove control arms.

you can choose when you remove the brake hardware.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gotem! just had to knock the hell outa the ball joints into next week!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im thinking about buying new uca and lca for both sides to go along with my brake upgrade. would the 74 torino swaybar attach the to the 67 galaxie frame correctly?

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Fatman Fabrications has tubular arms for these cars as well as Gearhead Cruisers. I'm going to try a set of Fatmans on my 64 when I get the dough (don't hold your breath). Oops, I just noticed yours is a 67, previous manufacturers do 57-64. Rear tubular arms available from Spohn but no front stuff that I know of.

·
Registered
260 Posts
circle track upper arms will work. you'll most likely have to use chrysler taper screw in balljoints though, so you'll need to buy a reamer and ream the spindle.

The length that you need will depend on what your ride height is. It took me a couple tries to get the right length.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey fellas, i've read as much as possible on the drum/disk swap by using the search function. from what i gathered:
-i can bolt on the front end suspension from the 74 torino.
-14" tires can be used on the 74 torino disk setup
-i can use the 67 tie rods

my questions is: if i want to keep the 67 uca and lca in the mean time, can i use the 67 ball joints on the 74 spindles?

i assume yes b/c the front end of these cars didnt change much but want to be sure. i plan on keeping the car at stock ride height.

i need to buy:
(F)disk/(R)drum manual-Mastercylinder
proportioning valve
brake lines
brake fluid

any other advice?

·
Registered
260 Posts
IMO , if you are buying a master, convert to power. Pirate jack's has a master/booster combo that works great for full size ford.

I believe it is around $200. You will need to massage it to get it to work, but it does fit and works well.

you will also want to make sure that you get a 10 lb residual valve for the rear drum circuit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO , if you are buying a master, convert to power. Pirate jack's has a master/booster combo that works great for full size ford.

I believe it is around $200. You will need to massage it to get it to work, but it does fit and works well.

you will also want to make sure that you get a 10 lb residual valve for the rear drum circuit.

im looking to make this upgrade as easy and simple as possible. could i just use the manual disk/drum mc?

·
Registered
260 Posts
im looking to make this upgrade as easy and simple as possible. could i just use the manual disk/drum mc?
Is it dual circuit?

I wouldnt go through all of the trouble in starting the brakes if i wasnt going to at least add the safety of redundant circuits.

you lose pressure at all with a single bowl and your car is now a 4,000lb missile that will kill you or someone else.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, i believe most fords 67 and up came with dual mc's. my car has a manual dual mc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would it be easier to just buy 74 torino upper control arms and lower control arms tie end rods and bolt everything right up??

or take a chance and just bolt in the spindle and disks ?

what would you fellas do? i ask b/c i have to do this swap on city streets

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i think i found my answer :rolleyes:

Look for 77-79 T-bird spindles. They have the cheapest rotors. $80 should buy both vs. 110 each for lets say a 72-73 Torino.

They will bolt right on. We had to put 2 washers for the upper ball joint prior to putting the castle nut on (New upper had a smaller castle nut then stock). No big deal.
Lower ball joint is the same and went on with no problems.
Outter tie rod is a big PIMA! right now. So are the adjusting sleeves. The threads on the outter tierod for a 77 Tbird are bigger then a 65 Galaxie. I believe I read on here that 70 LTD outter tie rods are what to use. I wil end up going in that direction beings you cannot use the stock 65 outters on the new spindles wothout doing some work on them..

If you want "junk yard" disc brakes, a really good option is to get them off of:

1974-1979 Continental
1974-1979 Cougar
1974-1978 ford pass
1977-1979 LTD II
1974-1976 Montego
1974-1979 T-Bird
1974-1976 Torino

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey fellas,
this is what i have got so far:

74 torino spindles, disks, calipers, brake hose mounting hardware
Brake booster
Brackets
Power dual mc disk/drum
brake wrench
proportioning valve
brake lines front and back

need:
70 galaxie/ltd tie end rod/ sleeve
upper ball joint
brake fluid
brake hose to caliper

Question:
should i buy 70 galaxie upper ball joint as well?
what year brake hose to the caliper would be best?

and am i missing anything else?

pics soon.

Thanks fellas,

zombie, if i find anything at the yards i'll let you know

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
hey fellas,

i got the brake booster and brackets off of a 65 mercury and the disk mc off of a 72 ltd.

could i still use push rod in my manual mc in the disk mc with brackets and booster?!

i found my answer, thanks search function.:):tup:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
hey fellas,

i got the brake booster and brackets off of a 65 mercury and the disk mc off of a 72 ltd.

Wow a USED MC? I wouldn't do that in a hundred years... 34.99 for the autozone cheapy rebuilt....79.99 for a brand new one. JMO

1 - 20 of 24 Posts