Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a TOTALLY stupid question.....
But is there any way to switch the ignition wires around to gain timing? My distributor hits my intake and it will not let me get the correct timing. Its not even close. I tried to set it at 38 degrees full advance, and I could only get it to 15 because of it hitting th eintake manifold. Someone said to pull the distributor and skip a tooth, but I know Im gonna play hell getting it back in with the oil pump rod, and if its not right pull it again. If Im going to go through all of that I think I would be better off using a different distributor.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Yes, there is. First note where #1 plug wire is and its orientation to some fixed object, such as the carb. Mark the object with tape or something. Gather up the the firing order too (needed in case you mess things up.)

Mark #1 spark plug wire then remove it from the distributor-you won't need it until you are done with all the other wires. Then move each wire one at a time in a CW fashion exactly 1 spot, with the first one going where #1 used to be. Once you have rotated each wire one spot you can then place #1 in the remaining spot. Then loosen up the distributor, turn it CCW, and you should be able to locate #1 in relationship to the fixed object that you used for step #1. Use a timing light as normal on #1 plug.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How far do you think this will move the timing? If its not enough, can I do it again? Setting at full advanced, it would only go 15 degrees. I believe Im supposed to be around 36-38 degrees.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
How far do you think this will move the timing? If its not enough, can I do it again? Setting at full advanced, it would only go 15 degrees. I believe Im supposed to be around 36-38 degrees.
The 1 position will move it way more than enough to solve your timing problem and allow you to get your desired 36-38 degrees of advance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1 position will move it way more than enough to solve your timing problem and allow you to get your desired 36-38 degrees of advance.
Thank You
If this works it will save me a lot of time and money. Im surprised it runs as well as it does with full advanced at 15 degrees. It coughs up through the carb every once in awhile. I have just run it in the garage, not driven it.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
When you were putting the distributor in did you bump the starter a tad be to let the distributor drop in. Sometimes that all it takes.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
How far do you think this will move the timing? If its not enough, can I do it again? Setting at full advanced, it would only go 15 degrees. ...
Dennis is spot-on, and any distributor can be 'clocked' into any position like that. Note the importance of aligning #1 to the fixed object in the first step, as moving the wires one spot over will change the timing by 90 crank degrees. If you didn't rotate the distributor after re-indexing in the last step, you would then have 105° advance on cylinder #1. Plenty of room. :tup:

David

PS: If pulling the distributor and re-stabbing it, bumping the starter as mentioned can work randomly, or a socket on the crank bolt and turn a few degrees, or you can just use a 5/16" socket on an extension to rotate the oil pump drive shaft slightly so it will drop back in. 1/10th turn generally does it. I tape the socket to ensure it doesn't pop-off and into the oil pan. ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Dennis is spot-on, and any distributor can be 'clocked' into any position like that. Note the importance of aligning #1 to the fixed object in the first step, as moving the wires one spot over will change the timing by 90 crank degrees. If you didn't rotate the distributor after re-indexing in the last step, you would then have 105° advance on cylinder #1. Plenty of room. :tup:

David

PS: If pulling the distributor and re-stabbing it, bumping the starter as mentioned can work randomly, or a socket on the crank bolt and turn a few degrees, or you can just use a 5/16" socket on an extension to rotate the oil pump drive shaft slightly so it will drop back in. 1/10th turn generally does it. I tape the socket to ensure it doesn't pop-off and into the oil pan. ;)
X2 I did the wire trick on my 302

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dennis

Worked perfectly!
Set at 36-37 degrees "all in"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts